Installing a hot water shower?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
giblet
Expatriate

Installing a hot water shower?

Post by giblet »

So, what's involved in getting a hot water shower installed? I've got a bathroom without hot water and I'd like to get that fixed before the weather cools down. I'm not sure if I need to check anything before I buy one like whether there's a nearby electricity source, etc. Anyone done this before?
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Installing a hot water shower?

Post by Milord »

If you check the house building threads at teakdoor, they use electric inline heaters.

Another chap uses solar.
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

I was just going to get one of the electric showers at the Akira store, I'm just not sure if I understand the process for installing it.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

There are lots of pictures. If I remember, they just go inline.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

A power supply above the splash zone and a tap... plumbing it in to heat your basin water is a little more complex.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

giblet wrote:So, what's involved in getting a hot water shower installed? I've got a bathroom without hot water and I'd like to get that fixed before the weather cools down. I'm not sure if I need to check anything before I buy one like whether there's a nearby electricity source, etc. Anyone done this before?
I bought a water heater years ago something like this only a bit earlier model:
The shop I bought it from organised the fitting as well. I asked them if they could do this first before I bought. I just paid them one price and they did everything else. The shop was one of the construction supply shops on Mao Tse Tung.
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

Kuroneko, that's exactly what I am after. My only concern is that there might not be a power supply where the shower is. I'm in a house with one power outlet per room and the electricity clearly wasn't well thought out. So I'm not sure if I can just get one of these and assume it will be able to be installed where I want it to be. Clearly I know nothing about how this works.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

giblet wrote:Kuroneko, that's exactly what I am after. My only concern is that there might not be a power supply where the shower is. I'm in a house with one power outlet per room and the electricity clearly wasn't well thought out. So I'm not sure if I can just get one of these and assume it will be able to be installed where I want it to be. Clearly I know nothing about how this works.
Thats a difficult one. I think the shower will run up to 13 amp maybe a little more depending on size which is about maximum for one power outlet. Maybe possible to take from that outlet as long as your not powering something else at the same time. My kitchen has only one outlet and I cant use my microwave and the oven at same time. You could give Jess at Quealy's a pm she had a Vietnamese electrician do some re wiring for her. It was the guy used previously by Padder.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

You can buy about 50 m of 20mm black poly piping and lay it on the roof , or even on the ground for the sun to heat the water inside it. This would give you well over 20 l of sometimes bloody hot water depending on the time of the day and the sun heat. As cold water goes in one end hot water comes out the other. Cost about .75 c meter at # 81 Mao Tse Tung Blvd.

Second option. Coil some half inch copper tube [ as used by air con guys ] using a round pipe , tree or whatever, as you ''mould '' Then remove and place inside a steel pipe , about 2m high, using it as a chimney. Connect inward supply to the bottom where you have a control tap, and outlet at the top. Turn on the water pressure and light a fire at the bottom of your '' chimney ''. If you want super hot water [ or steam ] reduce the flow of inward water . If it gets too hot , throw water on the fire or increase the inward supply.

Been there, Done that . They both work.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I've had two installed. Some shops will install it for a 20$ fee. Otherwise just fin yourself an electrician and he'll do it for a small fee (guessing 10-20$). If there's no electric supply (should be obvious: wires hanging out) then they can just run a wire from a nearby outlet. Really nothing complicated about them.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic