Newspeak

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Luigi
Expatriate

Newspeak

Post by Luigi »

“They still believe in the capacity and possibility and ability of solving problems as well as reforms and social stability that keep them away from painful experiences.”

Lessons from Ronald Rumsfeld. :crazy: %) :P
table42
Expatriate

Re: Newspeak

Post by table42 »

And they say public oratory is dead. But compared to Dan Quayle he waxes poetic. Observe:

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century.
Read more at: http://mobile.brainyquote.com/quotes/qu ... 02909.html

I rest my case.
I try not to let my mouth say nothin my mind can't stand. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Or

I know nothing, I see nothing, in fact I'm not here right now.
Romanian source debriefed in West Berlin
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

that administration has some classics.
Rummy was better spoken than the oafish pres and vp
In announcing that the military would be sending Al Qaeda and Taliban detainees to the United States naval base at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld described the base today as ''the least worst place we could have selected.''
Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones
a poem:
MAKE THE PIE HIGHER
by George W. Bush

I think we all agree, the past is over.
This is still a dangerous world.
It's a world of madmen and uncertainty
and potential mental losses.

Rarely is the question asked
Is our children learning?
Will the highways of the Internet become more few?
How many hands have I shaked?

They misunderestimate me.
I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity.
I know that the human being and the fish can coexist.
Families is where our nation finds hope, where our wings take dream.

Put food on your family!
Knock down the tollbooth!
Vulcanize society!
Make the pie higher! Make the pie higher!
table42
Expatriate

Post by table42 »

Really instead of newspeak they should call it spewspeak.
I try not to let my mouth say nothin my mind can't stand. Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong. Or

I know nothing, I see nothing, in fact I'm not here right now.
Romanian source debriefed in West Berlin
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

This is really profound. :thumb: But it's so subtle that we don't even really know if he knows that he doesn't know, or if he doesn't know that he doesn't know, or who knows...
Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones
I give up, I dunno . :unknown:
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Yes, the unknown known nonsense was prolly best to date.

Spewspeak is the norm of the day.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

But that Regime had real talent. My Ma remarked she intended to vote for GWB and I laughed and said that crew was as dumb as a box of rocks. She replied that they had a lot of smart men around them!

Here are some gems from the former VP who seems to have now disappeared into the void:
It's a question of whether we're going to go forward into the future, or past to the back. Dan Quayle
The future will be better tomorrow.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/autho ... uayle.html
The other day the President said, I know you've had some rough times, and I want to do something that will show the nation what faith that I have in you, in your maturity and sense of responsibility. He paused, then said, would you like a puppy?
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/autho ... uayle.html
Much much more at the link.
It is a very telling insight into leadership, and the justifiably low regard they have for the electorate.
Politics is just hilarious.
ot mien kampf
Expatriate

Post by ot mien kampf »

Vlad is basically a bipedal dictionary of newspeak.

The words "racist" and "-phobe" are already even more effective at crushing dissent than anything in 1984. Brand someone with these magic labels and you, apparently, don't need to argue anything factual with them, as demonstrated by most of his posts.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic