Any fishermen here?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Any fishermen here?

Post by willyhilly »

Just been talking with a mate in Queensland who wants to move to Snookyville when he gets the pension next year. This joker is a keen fisherman and someone told him that the tidal creeks could be fished in a tinnie and he could catch Mangrove Jack and Barramundi.
Is this possible?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Any fishermen here?

Post by taabarang »

Sorry Willy. I am a freshwater fly fisherman and have given up all hope of finding water clean and clear enough to tempt me. I hope he has better luck in salt water. So what is a "tinnie?". Some kind of boat I presume.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Tinnie......aluminium small craft, often used as a tender.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I think it means a can of beer.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

:beer3:
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

yes, true.
jacks are plentiful
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

They ( jacks and barra) are definitely here in the estuaries, as are Queen Salmon. Offshore are cobia, narrow barred macks,northern bluefin tuna,mack tuna, trevors, mahi mahi, small marlin, coral trout and many other species we Queenslanders are familiar with. I regularly see all of these fish, fresh in the market. Not sure I agree with Frank that any of them, including jacks, are plentiful. However, as your mate knows, they call it "fishing", not "catching" for a very good reason!
If he's willing to put the yards in, he's sure to get a feed (occasionally) and have some fun!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Barang chgout wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:06 pm Tinnie......aluminium small craft, often used as a tender.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Saw this tinnie being sold in Snooky about a month ago . Quite solid and well made, and I think they said it was assembled in Singapore and depending on demand would be making them in Cambodia in the distant future. Price from memory ? was around $3000.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

barra is widely distributed- lives all the way to the coast of Iran.
the little resort in the estuary near SV lands quite a few mangrove jacks pretty regularly, one of the best eating fish you can find.
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by SinnSisamouth »

cant u just fish from shore?
i dont like boats and i am allergic to aluminium
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz