New Cambodian Dialect - Afrikaans

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

New Cambodian Dialect - Afrikaans

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

It's crazy the amount of South African refugees (& Namibians) that have settled in Cambodia, particularly Phnom Penh, over the past few years. They're bloody everywhere! It seems whenever I sit down in a bar or restaurant all I hear is Afrikaans being spoken... scrolling through FB a minute ago and I see my go-to sports bar are even advertising in Afrikaans now!
Alle Suid Afrikaners kom kuier saam ons hier by All Sports Bar in Straat 172 , ons het die nuwe restaurant nou klaar..kos , bier en karaoke is op die spyskaart.

So almal is welkom..

Hoop ons sien julle gou..
Scary thing is, most of these Saffers are working as teachers! Gonna have a city full of kids running around speaking in a hideous hybrid Cambodian/Sth African accent :shock:

It appears Cambodia doesn't want them staying long term, as Immigration are continually denying E-type Visas on Arrival to them, and instead issuing them with Tourist VOA's.

:stir:

On the bright side, at least theres plenty of tasty biltong available to buy around town now. :thumb:
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: New Cambodian Dialect - Afrikaans

Post by IraHayes »

Couldn’t resist I’m afraid.

lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

I've spoken with a few and I think there are more white Zimbabweans in Cambodia than in Zimbabwe.

Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Used to be a lot in Uganda when I worked there, I think they gravitate to poor countries where they still think they can assert themselves and feel a sense of superiority over the locals. The race that time forgot. The post 2 above pretty much sums up my experience based on 7 years on the continent. I've never come across 1 in Thailand which is strange, why would it be any different?
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

South Africa is in crisis.

I’ve been writing CVs for nine years, with at least 85% of clients from South Africa and Zimbabwe.
My clients are desperate to leave and go anywhere that will have them.

I have clients applying all over the world, it’s just that Cambodia is easier to get into than Australia and New Zealand. Many go to SEA first while they try to relocate elsewhere.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:35 pm I think they gravitate to poor countries where they still think they can assert themselves and feel a sense of superiority over the locals.
No they are fleeing a country where crime is rampant and whites are being persecuted for the color of their skin, and Cambodia is one of the few countries that will take them.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

rozzieoz wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:18 pm it’s just that Cambodia is easier to get into than Australia and New Zealand. Many go to SEA first while they try to relocate elsewhere.
This is true, many are just using Cambodia as a stepping stone while they are applying for visas to Oz and NZ.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

There was talk in Australia about making the process quicker for them. But the do-gooders stepped in and said you cant discriminate.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Sweet Lemon wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:21 pm whites are being persecuted for the color of their skin,
Yea, SA is a pretty fkd up country at the moment.
Wasn't that long ago it was the other way around in Sth. Africa though.

I've worked with many South Africans over the years, most of them great guys who I trust to have my back when the shit hits the fan, one thing the majority of them have in common though is that they are extremely racist and they dont hide the fact.

Anyway...there's some really good biltong available in PP these days which I'm really happy about!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

My clients are not all white South Africans.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic