Giving Cam Nivaq a run for his money

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Giving Cam Nivaq a run for his money

Post by logos »

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html

A female black Gavina ? Haven't been on her blog to check out cambodia.
Do you think she digs hosts bars and connect 4 ?
chkwoot
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Giving Cam Nivaq a run for his money

Post by chkwoot »

logos wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:18 pm https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html

He's probably done her in 17/193+2. Looks like she might be hot!
I am sooooo very sorry if you can't understand or appreciate my sarcastic facetiousness.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Well done to her but it seems a bit like a race for her to hit a certain number of stamps?
As of April 2018, there were 193 recognized countries in the United Nations, plus two with "non-observer status."
Since she began her project in earnest in 2016, Nabongo has been to 109 of them.
That's an average of 7 days in each country, if she had a teleporter and just went constantly from one to the next. So not really impressive. Cam Nivag makes sure to at least explore a bit and visits some of the larger and more interesting countries multiple times.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

logos wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:18 pm https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html

Interesting, but always thought it a bit weird to visit countries just to say you've been there and done that. Funny/strange that she has problems being a black visitor to African countries.

(Btw logos, can I ask why you posted this here instead of on your own forum ? Good move and all that, but wouldn't they like a bit of input there too ? :D )
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:25 pm
(Btw logos, can I ask why you posted this here instead of on your own forum ? Good move and all that, but wouldn't they like a bit of input there too ? :D )
Well don't they say variety is the spice of life and all that ?
Even a Michelin starred restaurant can get tiresome after a while if the menu doesn't change, so you crave a good ole juicy hot dog, a burger or even a pizza.

Plus It's not as if I were an admin or a mod, I'm just a regular poster.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:57 pm
That's an average of 7 days in each country, if she had a teleporter and just went constantly from one to the next. So not really impressive. Cam Nivag makes sure to at least explore a bit and visits some of the larger and more interesting countries multiple times.
Some of the shitholes I only visited for about 48 hours. Djibouti, Niger, South Sudan, Mauritania, etc. And small countries like Andorra and San Marino I only visited on day trips. But yes, I've spent weeks in Russia, Japan, China, Nepal, Bhutan, Uganda and of course cumulatively months/years each in Thailand, Cambodia, Ireland, etc.

Some people trying to visit every country spend a lot more time in each country than I do, some spend less.

A young American woman named Taylor is trying to set a "Guinness World Record" become the youngest and fastest American to visit every country on earth. She's been to about half of them so far, but according to her blog "Trek with Taylor," she didn't even leave the airport in at least a half dozen countries, which really shouldn't count but I don't work for Guinness. She seems terrified to leave the airport in dodgy countries, which is fair, but I just don't think she should claim to have visited every country.

Lastly, there's a beardy Danish guy who is trying to become the first person to visit every country by land, no flying, in one continuous surface trip. He's about four years and 100 countries in, he keeps getting bogged down waiting for visas, I think he was stuck in Lebanon for two months before he could get into Syria.

Here's his blog: http://www.onceuponasaga.dk/
Brewer
Expatriate

Post by Brewer »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:44 pm
A young American woman named Taylor is trying to set a "Guinness World Record" become the youngest and fastest American to visit every country on earth. She's been to about half of them so far, but according to her blog "Trek with Taylor," she didn't even leave the airport in at least a half dozen countries, which really shouldn't count but I don't work for Guinness. She seems terrified to leave the airport in dodgy countries, which is fair, but I just don't think she should claim to have visited every country.
No, landing but not leaving a countries airport should by no measure constitute "visiting" a country. She is just "safe-spacing" herself around the world. I'm not suggesting people on such a quest have to put themselves at extreme risk but claiming to have visited a country for the purposes of setting a record but not leaving the airport doesn't cut it.

It's not all that long ago when adventure meant getting in a van in Europe and driving all the way to Kabul. The hipster millennial Go Funded Me reboot of that is having a coffee in the transit lounge Starbucks, using their free wifi on an Ipad to blog about how scary the country you haven't actually set foot in is but what a wonderful experience it was to visit there and how the people are beautiful. :roll:
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Well, if airports count, I've been to China. And Qatar too, I guess.

For someone who's almost been to every country on this planet, what do you think are the main factors for labeling certain ones shit holes? The geography? The people? Predominant religion? Food? What?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

group on facebook with many contributors chasing the stamps of all 193
https://www.facebook.com/groups/everypassportstamp/
Description
For serious travelers chasing every country in world. Discussions to make it possible. Friends to share the journey.

I'm at 94 or so , doubt I'll get many more, as now i tend on revisiting those i have been to before but do have my sights set on Bhutan
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Brewer wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:19 pm
No, landing but not leaving a countries airport should by no measure constitute "visiting" a country.
Sure, being in an airport in transit doesn't count, otherwise I'd have been in about twice as many countries as I believe I have been. I'm not sure what the rules are, but you should at least go outside the airport/ port and stay the night in the country. As stated above, some tiny enclaves like Djibouti or Andorra don't merit a long trip, but landing in Kinshasa for a couple of hours waiting for a transfer to Equatorial Guinea doesn't mean you have "visited the Democratic Republic of Congo", which is 4 times the size of France and deserves at least a weekend.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic