Post Vacation Blues

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post Vacation Blues

Post by frank lee bent »

There is actually a name for it.

I have been visiting KOW up to 5 times a year since 2008, and have more friends there than here in Canberra, my place of contracted remuneration.

For 3 years i have had a mirage like vision of relocating there "in 6 months".

As those of you who work or bisnis in Oz know, the remuneration and prices are very high.

This golden shackle deal has been holding me for 3 years now. But the mirage is only 4 months away now!

Anyone else with similar? Hard to know how much money is "enough" to walk away on a lucrative and easy contract with an assured 2 year term.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Post Vacation Blues

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I feel your pain.

I'm a little similar perhaps in that I'm in the grind at the moment having just recently returned. I've also recently been offered three months very well payed work commencing the end of September. Your move in four months at least sounds permanent, mine alas is unlikely to be.

Even though our returns are only a matter of months away the time in between is indeed laborious and feels eternal.

A family member has recently gone through the process of weighing up if he has enough to retire early. He deliberated painfully for a year deciding to take the risk even though he may fall short. He's more happy now than I've ever seen him. He does tend to be over cautious so he'll get through I feel.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

^ And the name for it is Canberitis residentius
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

frank lee bent wrote:There is actually a name for it.

I have been visiting KOW up to 5 times a year since 2008, and have more friends there than here in Canberra, my place of contracted remuneration.

For 3 years i have had a mirage like vision of relocating there "in 6 months".

As those of you who work or bisnis in Oz know, the remuneration and prices are very high.

This golden shackle deal has been holding me for 3 years now. But the mirage is only 4 months away now!

Anyone else with similar? Hard to know how much money is "enough" to walk away on a lucrative and easy contract with an assured 2 year term.
I guess I also see many of the same things in my world at the moment.

I have a nice little business here and following my return from Cambodia at the end of January, the phone has been very busy.

I so want to slip my wheel and relocate and I will but the bastards here keep giving me more nice work.

I am hoping to be free of here by year end, then set up a little something there.

Siem Reap is looking like the place to start. Yes, I know it gets regularly slated on forums but I quite like the place and as I will be renting, I can always move. After reading some great posts Sihanoukville is also looking like it needs another visit. I was not that impressed last time I went but I might not hae been to the best bits and I do like the idea of living by the sea.
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I don't know the feeling.

I moved here instead of leaving.

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

G-Mack - How long after your arrival was it before you were working and settled into a place/routine? (Not that I imagine for a second a man such as your self could be referred to as routine)
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote:G-Mack - How long after your arrival was it before you were working and settled into a place/routine? (Not that I imagine for a second a man such as your self could be referred to as routine)
I drifted a while...

It all started as a sailing trip from the States, across the Atlantic to Europe....that took a few months...

About a year drifting in SEasia.....a year teaching in Indonesia....another year of drifting.....then landed back in Cambodia.....started teaching fairly quickly...

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

General Mackevili wrote:..started teaching fairly quickly...
Have you slowed down a bit now?

Rapid Results College post?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Si senor.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic