Do Khmers have surprise parties?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

I was watching an American TV show the other day and it featured a surprise party for one of the characters' birthdays. This got me wondering. Do Khmers ever have surprise parties?

I've never heard of a surprise party being thrown in Cambodia. Have any of you thrown or attended one?

My guess is that Khmers would suck at this.

First, Khmers can't keep a secret. This we all know. Imagine telling your wife's family that you are having a birthday party for her Saturday night and then expecting them not to call her and tell her.

Second, Khmer houses aren't well suited for surprise parties. They have those flimsy curtains on the windows, so as soon as your wife pulls up she'll see through the windows that there are a bunch of people in the house. And you can't effectively hide behind wicker furniture or those stark wooden "sofas" and then jump out and surprise someone.

Lastly, let's consider the word "surprise" itself. Khmers aren't great at pronouncing the letter "r" and they make no effort whatsoever to pronounce an "s" sound at the end of any word. Even if you could get a bunch of Khmers hidden in your living room, at the key moment, I suspect they would all jump out and yell "Supplyyyyy!"
Rutiger
Expatriate

Re: Do Khmers have surprise parties?

Post by Rutiger »

Linda from Facebook was thrown a surprise party. You know Linda from Facebook, right? Yeah, that Linda. I'm assuming the pointy hats appeared after they sprung the surprise, because it's somewhat unlikely Linda wears a green pointy party hat on a regular basis. I could be wrong, though.
A few of us were invited to a Cambodian party, we presumed this was a house warming but it turned out to be a surprise party for Linda who is 15. This is a very together young lady and it was a fine occasion which we all enjoyed
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 157&type=3

Pervy older white guys give the surprise party two thumbs up.

Not to mention a famous Khmer singer had a song called , of all things, "Surprise Party".

Last edited by Rutiger on Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Cam Nivag wrote:I was watching an American TV show the other day and it featured a surprise party for one of the characters' birthdays. This got me wondering. Do Khmers ever have surprise parties?

I've never heard of a surprise party being thrown in Cambodia. Have any of you thrown or attended one?

My guess is that Khmers would suck at this.

First, Khmers can't keep a secret. This we all know. Imagine telling your wife's family that you are having a birthday party for her Saturday night and then expecting them not to call her and tell her.

Second, Khmer houses aren't well suited for surprise parties. They have those flimsy curtains on the windows, so as soon as your wife pulls up she'll see through the windows that there are a bunch of people in the house. And you can't effectively hide behind wicker furniture or those stark wooden "sofas" and then jump out and surprise someone.

Lastly, let's consider the word "surprise" itself. Khmers aren't great at pronouncing the letter "r" and they make no effort whatsoever to pronounce an "s" sound at the end of any word. Even if you could get a bunch of Khmers hidden in your living room, at the key moment, I suspect they would all jump out and yell "Supplyyyyy!"
haha i was in kampot and i ordered a mixed shake and they told me they had no passionfruit, and to which fruit i wanted in replacement, so i asked for a surprise.....

....she came back with a can of Sprite :facepalm:

going back to the initial question my answer would be no lol Rozzieoz who posts on here her fella had a "surprise" birthday party organised after some meet up/meal by some police chiefs here in sihanoukville, apparently throughout the whole meeting they were telling him not to leave at the end because they had organised a surprise birthday party for him lol :facepalm:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

surprise > > > > sa-pry > > > > sa-pri(te) = Sprite.

Clever girl.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Username Taken wrote:surprise > > > > sa-pry > > > > sa-pri(te) = Sprite.

Clever girl.
Yeah, she was showing initiative, stop being a insensitive asshole Jamie.

:stir:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Cam Nivag wrote:I was watching an American TV show the other day and it featured a surprise party for one of the characters' birthdays. This got me wondering. Do Khmers ever have surprise parties?

My guess is that Khmers would suck at this...
I have organized a surprise birthday party for Khmer family, but then you find yourself expected to do it again every year. :facepalm:
Now the surprise is no more surprise parties. :thumb:
But everyone was actually very good on the day, so no, they didn't suck at keeping secrets. Mind you, I only told told people a few hours ahead "Come at 5pm. It's a surprise party for ---. There will be cake." And some of that disgusting stuff in a can that you squirt at everybody.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
haha i was in kampot and i ordered a mixed shake and they told me they had no passionfruit, and to which fruit i wanted in replacement, so i asked for a surprise.....

....she came back with a can of Sprite :facepalm:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

kiwiincambodia wrote:

Clever girl.

Sent from my Surprise using Initiative just to annoy Rutiger.
Last edited by Jamie_Lambo on Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
kiwiincambodia wrote:

Clever girl.

rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Khmers are dreadful at keeping secrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic