Happy Songkran

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Happy Songkran

Post by phuketrichard »

For all those Thailand

if u venture out, enjoy the water (I'll be staying home)

For those in Cambodia;
good luck
The first day of the Khmer New Year is called Moha Songkran. The time around New Year is the only time when young Cambodians are allowed to meet and engage in “mixed” plays. It is also the opportunity for young men to look for potential brides.
you get to get wet on the 3rd day :beer3:
The third day of the New Year is called Tanai Lieang Saka and means “new beginning”. After seeking the blessings of the monks in the morning, a joyful farewell celebration is held in the afternoon. In the streets and in public places, people pour water on each other. Children and young people throw baby powder and flour at each othe
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Happy Songkran

Post by Anchor Moy »

Soursdei Chhnam Thmei ! Happy New Year and happy Songkran to everybody.
What are you doing for NY ? Visiting relations and pagodas or taking it easy with a few cold ones ?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

The latter.

"Bong! Bong, moi tiet".
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Susuday Chnam Thmei !

I try to avoid going far away for this holiday way to dangerous on the roads and populated once arrived to you destination...
As Anchor Mouy suggested I favor the cold ones idea but this year I got Russians working for me so must have an eye on things. Maybe someone forgot to tell them about Khmer new year or something ?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Traffic is enormous in PP this morning.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

ສະບາຍດີປີໃຫມ່ລາວ

Happy Lao New Year!

It's just as krazy up there as it is in Thailand, especially in Vientiane and Luang Pabang.

Last year I managed to get down to Sii Phan Don (4000 Islands), a great place for maximum chilling.

For all those Thailand

Richard, you've mentioned that you first came to Thailand in the early or mid-80s, I think?

Can you comment a bit on any differences between now and then? People say the water fights are traditional, but others have told me that people acted much more respectful 2 or 3 decades ago, even in Bangkok.

How was your first Songkran?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

sigmoid wrote: ສະບາຍດີປີໃຫມ່ລາວ

Happy Lao New Year!

It's just as krazy up there as it is in Thailand, especially in Vientiane and Luang Pabang.

Last year I managed to get down to Sii Phan Don (4000 Islands), a great place for maximum chilling.

For all those Thailand

Richard, you've mentioned that you first came to Thailand in the early or mid-80s, I think?

Can you comment a bit on any differences between now and then? People say the water fights are traditional, but others have told me that people acted much more respectful 2 or 3 decades ago, even in Bangkok.

How was your first Songkran?
1st Songkran was in 1982 in Chiang Mai. it was great, people strolled the streets, little kids were the only ones "throwing water" with the small cups, Stages were set up with bands an dancing girls,no body threw water they only came up to you an indicated they wished to pour water on ur neck an place powder on ur face, respect to old people and police,
6 pm it ended and people went out and enjoyed the evening with no fear of getting wet.

I used to take my daughter out when she was little here in Phuket ( she was born in 94) Even then it was nice and people respected if you did not wish to get wet, Then when she hit 13 or so she wanted to be with her friends
The guns and all were what ruined it , That an Klong water/ice cubes an colored dyes in the water

NOW well u all know what its like now, Free for all, BUT i must admit it is NOT as bad as Holi in India :beer3:

PS I know its really crazy in Myanmar now as well with shops closing down for 4 days and transport nearly impossible
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

NOW well u all know what its like now, Free for all, BUT i must admit it is NOT as bad as Holi in India
I've read that chemical dyes are a problem with Holi. What didn't you like about it?

I've been to India twice but not during that time of year, so have not experienced it, fortunately or unfortunately.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

Spent one Songkran in Thailand, vowed it would be my last!. Enjoyed 1 or 2 days of chucking water in the daytime, but after that gets monotonous. YTF they make it last 10 days in some parts eludes me, 3 days would be plenty and so many people die every year at this time, something like 600? Have seen some loosing control of moto when having 2kg of liquid + ice cubes thrown at you face at 30kph. :facepalm:
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

Fourkinnel wrote:Spent one Songkran in Thailand, vowed it would be my last!. Enjoyed 1 or 2 days of chucking water in the daytime, but after that gets monotonous. YTF they make it last 10 days in some parts eludes me, 3 days would be plenty and so many people die every year at this time, something like 600? Have seen some loosing control of moto when having 2kg of liquid + ice cubes thrown at you face at 30kph. :facepalm:
Most Songkran deaths are due to drink driving - though buckets of water in the face don't help. It's 600 in 3 days in Chiang Mai; it's fucking carnage across the whole of Thailand.

Note: Got up this morning, walked to shops, and back again without getting so much as a drop of water on me. If you're not sat around the Gates and Moat - people aren't completely batshit in Thailand. In fact yesterday, I walked past a group of kids who'd been soaking everyone, they saw me move my bag out of the way and aplogised, wished me a happy New Year and didn't soak me either.

Richard is wrong about Songkran's recent history - check out Thaivisa's Chiang Mai section to see photos from the Vietnam War era in Chiang Mai at Songkran. Buckets, Wagons with water sprays, etc. were in use back then too. The only thing missing was big plastic waterpistols - mainly because they hadn't been invented yet.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic