Do expats really care about the locals?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Do expats really care about the locals?

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

I posted two articles from local newspapers recently, and they both only got about 30 or 40 reads.
They both directly involved poor Cambodians. One was an article talking about an MFI busted for dodgy practices, and fined $100,000. The other was about a new​ minimum wage that is going to be pushed through by the PM.
I see very high read counts for things like nudity, pies and BK Trapper's adventures in Wonderland though. Am I right in believing that Cambodian expats don't care much about the local poor population in general? If so, why?
See crook!!!
bobsboots
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Do expats really care about the locals?

Post by bobsboots »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:32 pm I posted two articles from local newspapers recently, and they both only got about 30 or 40 reads.
They both directly involved poor Cambodians. One was an article talking about an MFI busted for dodgy practices, and fined $100,000. The other was about a new​ minimum wage that is going to be pushed through by the PM.
I see very high read counts for things like nudity, pies and BK Trapper's adventures in Wonderland though. Am I right in believing that Cambodian expats don't care much about the local poor population in general? If so, why?
Interesting point. I think it is more to do with human nature. If an event involving other people affects us in some way then we care. If that event in no way affects our lives then it is easy to ignore, even if we shouldn't as caring people ignore it.
As for there being most posts for Trapper and pies, I guess that in the current political climate we are now in, people tend to turn towards a good laugh rather than face the reality of poor people suffering
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I know plenty of local people, and very few of those I'm closest to would be considered well-off at all. I deal with all sorts of people every day, and none of them ever mentions MFIs or minimum wages as it doesn't affect them. It's all very well to care from a distance, I just deal with what's in front of me.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:32 pmAm I right in believing that Cambodian expats don't care much about the local poor population in general?
Clearly not as much as you care about getting your posts read.

No, seriously, was this a serious question? Some of us work against poverty all day, 6-7 days a week, and would like to do other things with our online time.

Or are you just trolling?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Same. The last thing they need is pity. Also, there are plenty of news articles floating around here and most get no replies. They're mostly there for informative purposes, so if you do the same and don't try to open up a debate of some sort, people will just gloss over them and move on.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:32 pm I posted two articles from local newspapers recently, and they both only got about 30 or 40 reads.
I think it applies to most, not just expats and Cambodians
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Camaan. Unless you're breaking the story, news, real news, is generally read elsewhere, prior to it being reposted here. Not opening a thread with an excerpt of something I've already read in its entirety =/= anything like what you're trying to stir up.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:30 pm Same. The last thing they need is pity. Also, there are plenty of news articles floating around here and most get no replies. They're mostly there for informative purposes, so if you do the same and don't try to open up a debate of some sort, people will just gloss over them and move on.
exactly this,
those other threads are made for discussion, and will attract a bigger view/reply count
if your sat watching/reading the news at home, how often do you feel the need to text your best friend about each article

theres not many news pages on here be it about barang or khmer that go more than a page or 2
unless the nature of the story brings on discussions of conflicting viewpoints or some form of investigation as to who/what/where or why etc
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

@ OP, because you think that people on this forum don't pay enough attention to your posts, you conclude that expats in general don't care about the locals ?
There could be any number of reasons why people are not responding to your posts as you would like them to do, but your conclusion is not necessarily valid.
It's good to post about things that interest you and that you feel passionate about, but as others have said, if you want discussion there needs to be something to discuss.
If it will cheer you up, you might notice that some of your threads have generated some good discussions, but you can't expect everyone to be onboard every time. That's just how it works, and sometimes you may look back years later and see that finally your post has been viewed hundreds or thousands of times. It's just been slow to take off.
This is an internet forum and you (mostly) choose to post news articles for discussion that are available elsewhere. If you are disappointed, then maybe you should make your posts a bit more interesting than the average news report. Just a suggestion.
Last thing, as a personal opinion, I think that you cut and paste articles that are far too long to keep a reader's attention. Learn to edit a bit.

Maybe it's not what you are saying, but how you are saying it ?
[That was probably tltr already. Lol.]
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic