FIFA exposed

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

FIFA exposed

Post by Soi Dog »

This isn't just about this World Cup, so I'll put it in the General Chatter section. This is as much about corruption and thuggery concerning this supposed "non-profit organization" and others like it, which continue to most negatively affect the poorest parts of the planet.

English-born comedian John Oliver has a new weekly show on HBO that is always worth a view. Watch the whole 13 minute piece, it's worth it. FIFA's tactics may not be a surprise to soccer loving countries, but this topic might be somewhat new to Americans, who don't follow international futbol with any great interest.

ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: FIFA exposed

Post by ExPenhMan »

Superb for the football non-fan like me. But made me a fan of John Oliver. Now, if I only had HBO.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Thanks for posting that Soi Dog, that is a really good clip nailing all the salient points of what's wrong with FIFA and some laugh out loud moments for me. :thumb:
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

After all the talk of the new stadiums not being ready, they look great on TV. Brazil will benefit from hosting this event. Plus they get to use the new stadiums and related infrastructure improvements for the Olympics coming up.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Soi Dog wrote:This isn't just about this World Cup, so I'll put it in the General Chatter section. This is as much about corruption and thuggery concerning this supposed "non-profit organization" and others like it, which continue to most negatively affect the poorest parts of the planet.

English-born comedian John Oliver has a new weekly show on HBO that is always worth a view. Watch the whole 13 minute piece, it's worth it. FIFA's tactics may not be a surprise to soccer loving countries, but this topic might be somewhat new to Americans, who don't follow international futbol with any great interest.
My thought is the same without watching your posted Youtube.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Soi Dog wrote:After all the talk of the new stadiums not being ready, they look great on TV. Brazil will benefit from hosting this event. Plus they get to use the new stadiums and related infrastructure improvements for the Olympics coming up.
Since you brought it up, I support the protest seeing how united they are.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

flying chicken wrote:
Soi Dog wrote:After all the talk of the new stadiums not being ready, they look great on TV. Brazil will benefit from hosting this event. Plus they get to use the new stadiums and related infrastructure improvements for the Olympics coming up.
Since you brought it up, I support the protest seeing how united they are.
FIFA needs a complete rebuild. The terms should be more advantageous to the host country, especially in terms of the avoided tax revenue. If this is what the protests are about, then good on 'em.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

Soi Dog wrote:This isn't just about this World Cup, so I'll put it in the General Chatter section. This is as much about corruption and thuggery concerning this supposed "non-profit organization" and others like it, which continue to most negatively affect the poorest parts of the planet.

John Oliver is funny. Ironically I first saw him today on an online video about the "Washington Redskins" name controversy.

FIFA Sucks.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

Thanks Soi Dog for posting that. I like John Oliver and its great to see him become so popular in the States.

FIFA – Financial Incentives for Applicants.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic