Why did the train stop

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Why did the train stop

Post by Duncan »

Was out past the airport where the railway line crosses the road to snooky and this train stopped. Why ???? Because another one was coming from the other direction, and the first one prob had to back up all the way to PP where there is a double track.

Every train spotters dream,, to see two trains in less than two minuets in the Kingdom of Wonder Why.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Why did the train stop

Post by Username Taken »

Obviously the Ministry of Trains doesn't have any system in place to let each end of the line know what's going on?

Or, maybe, it's run by the same crew that runs the Bamboo Railway. [If we meet another train coming towards us, we both stop and one of us unloads everything and lifts the bamboo train off the tracks].
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Username Taken wrote:Obviously the Ministry of Trains doesn't have any system in place to let each end of the line know what's going on?

Or, maybe, it's run by the same crew that runs the Bamboo Railway. [If we meet another train coming towards us, we both stop and one of us unloads everything and lifts the bamboo train off the tracks].
whats the crack with the bamboo train, ive seen videos of it online and really want a go lol
wheres it run from-to etc etc...
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

I didn't know there were any trains in Cambodia

I guess only cargo trains from the port at Snooky up to PP ?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

yeah theres the cargo ones that run from the port, theres the wooden bamboo one as well thats near battembang i think
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Bamboo train is up in Battambang.
You need take a tuk tuk about 15 minutes out of town for the short ride,

Better do it soon before it is stopped.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Username Taken wrote:Obviously the Ministry of Trains doesn't have any system in place to let each end of the line know what's going on?

whats the crack with the bamboo train, ive seen videos of it online and really want a go lol
wheres it run from-to etc etc...
The bamboo train ('Norry' to the locals) which most people hear about is around Battambang where it was turned into a bit of a tourist novelty. I heard a few years back that it had stopped or would stop. Whether that happened or not, I have no idea.
It is actually used by locals living along the Phnom Penh to Poipet line as a type of local transport where roads are non-existant. I'm pretty sure it still runs.
Not sure about the Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville line though.

We have some land in rural Pursat and the only way to get there was by Norry. The couple of times that I have taken it, there were several people waiting to load up there weekly supplies on the Norry. When another Norry comes from the opposite direction, we would have to stop, unload the Norry and lift it off the tracks. Then, put it all back again.

The Norry even gets a mention on wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norry

:beer3:
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

phuketrichard wrote:Bamboo train is up in Battambang.
You need take a tuk tuk about 15 minutes out of town for the short ride,

Better do it soon before it is stopped
lol.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Username Taken wrote: When another Norry comes from the opposite direction, we would have to stop, unload the Norry and lift it off the tracks. Then, put it all back again.
yeah i was watching some program with my mum about cambodia and they had to do that, my mum found it hillarious that they did a count up and whoevers norry had the most least people they had to unload theirs, take it off the track and let the other past then rebuild it haha :thumb:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

http://www.railpage.com.au

Maybe have some news on the Cambodian rail system here. I'm to lazy to look.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic