Kids in the intersection

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
LTO
Expatriate

Kids in the intersection

Post by LTO »

A year or so ago the authorities took to rounding up all of the street people and beggar kids, especially those really little kids working selling flowers and trinkets and begging in the intersections amongst traffic. There were some still out there, but their numbers seemed to dwindle for a while. Lately they seem back in force, more than before the crackdown, maybe a lot more. Seeing them in intersections all over town now, many selling flowers or dusting/begging. Some seem to be attached to family-like groups, others seem to be in teams of children, but not sure. Anyway, looks like there are a lot more kids on the street of Phnom Penh begging of late, and I am wondering if my observation is accurate, and if so, why the increase.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Kids in the intersection

Post by StroppyChops »

The families are returning from the resettlement camps.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Resettlement camps?
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Resettlement camps.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

I try to not give them money, but I can't. I saw a boy around 6 years old carried his brother who was about few months. Many people gave him money and we told him to stop bringging his brother with. But I still saw him bring his brother with him every time I across there road. They not only ask for money but they ask even my water. Sad..
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

prahkeitouj wrote:I try to not give them money, but I can't. I saw a boy around 6 years old carried his brother who was about few months. Many people gave him money and we told him to stop bringging his brother with. But I still saw him bring his brother with him every time I across there road. They not only ask for money but they ask even my water. Sad..
I hate to say this but you actually were scammed. The baby wasn't really his biological brother, someone's baby. Have you ever heard that the baby was rented as a tool to beg people money.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

prahkeitouj wrote:I try to not give them money, but I can't. I saw a boy around 6 years old carried his brother who was about few months. Many people gave him money and we told him to stop bringging his brother with. But I still saw him bring his brother with him every time I across there road. They not only ask for money but they ask even my water. Sad..
Yes, it is sad, very sad, and a dilemma about what is the right thing to do, as you noted.
LTO Cambodia Blog

prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Samouth wrote:
I hate to say this but you actually were scammed. The baby wasn't really his biological brother, someone's baby. Have you ever heard that the baby was rented as a tool to beg people money.
I think 50% scam but how can you pass those boys? What they can do more than this ? :(
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

prahkeitouj wrote:
Samouth wrote:
I think 50% scam but how can you pass those boys? What they can do more than this ? :(
You should blame their parents for doing nothing beside gambling and drinking and letting their kids to beg along the road. Before i also always gave money to those street beggar, but i stopped giving them money when i learned more about them. You are not helping them when you always give them money, but you indirectly urge them to continue to beg people money.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Samouth wrote:
Very possibly true, and that makes it even sadder.

I don't think I would call it a 'scam' though. Even if those kids have been assembled to look like a certain sort of pitiful, they are also still in a pitiful and exploitative situation. The baby isn't the only child being used as a tool there, so is the older brother. The right thing to do is orobably to not give them money, since its probably not going to their benefit, but as prahkeitouj notes, that is a hard thing to do to a child, especially considering that it is possible to misgauge the situation. And I can't think of any good reason to deny them water, scam or not.
LTO Cambodia Blog

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic