Otres

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Popeye
Expatriate
Australia

Otres

Post by Popeye »

Having just spent a few days in Snooky, I decided to jump on my bike and check out what all the fuss was about in going/ staying at Otres Beach!!! Well, arriving at the beach road leading into the hive of activity :- beach shacks/ guesthouses etc. What a mess that road (if you can call it a road) is in, enormous craters full of muddy water and potholes galore. :facepalm: Who the hell would even want to stay there??? So all it has going for it is the "beach" which is nice.
one_dolla
Expatriate

Re: Otres

Post by one_dolla »

only decent bit at Otres is the long beach which is the bit without bars etc. although there is a little shop being built there now as well.Your bang on about the dirt track between the guest houses and beach both at otres 1 & 2 complete disgrace.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

The attraction of Otres for many people, is that its away from Sihanoukville, no matter if they've actually been there or not. I doubt the quality of the road in/out of the place is of any interest to people staying there really

I prefer to stay in Sihanoukville itself, but I usually walk along the beach to Otres 2 & back every couple of days or so

I was surprised in Feb 2015, how much busier Otres was, compared to my 1st visit a year earlier in Feb 2014.
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

The road in and out is OK its the dirt track beach side that is a disgrace. Otres was good 4-5 years ago when it was a dirt road all the way there harder to get to so less people there. Now its full of people who think they are travellers or hippes of which they are neither off. Its gone way down hill. Even at the far end where some 'boutique hotels' have been built the road between them and the beach is a disgrace......
some how though I still go there 5 days out of 7................duh!
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

It'd be interesting to see if they are going to apply the 50m from the shore rule, they've said it again recently. It'd change Otres significantly. I have seen a map that shows an Otres version of pub street/the square. Maybe it will change the alternative culture aspect.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic