Signs U C

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Signs U C

Post by Duncan »

Just wondering if it the quality of the English teacher or google translate for causing these spelling mistakes.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Signs U C

Post by hanno »

The second one is spelt correctly: many hospitals and pharmacies use French; part of the legacy, and in French hospital is indeed "hopital"
BOFH
Expatriate

Post by BOFH »

AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

hanno wrote:The second one is spelt correctly: many hospitals and pharmacies use French; part of the legacy, and in French hospital is indeed "hopital"
Beat me to it.

But damn, I laughed at the translate error pics... :lol:
-insert signature here
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

I swear I saw a large advertising sign somewhere around town recently and a portion of it read "Place Khmer text here"
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

Look !!!!!!!........a wooden pizza......delicious

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Cam Nivag wrote:I swear I saw a large advertising sign somewhere around town recently and a portion of it read "Place Khmer text here"
Reminds me of some muppet that got ink a few years ago by an artist that could not read English - the artist inked in the parts that said "leave this blank"...
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Thank you AD! At last we have a photo of a Pizza shop sign, which I had mentioned previously elsewhere (but about the 'special' pizza places along the PP riverside) with the Khmer text at the bottom which says,
"The pizza ingredients can get you intoxicated - Don't drive!"

[Is that right, Samouth?]

Advocatus Diaboli wrote:Image
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

found this little gem in a village Laos lol
"Wise you have a good trip for your"

but this one here i found in a guesthouse in PP <3 ...

"Please keep your Prosperity yourself, if any Lose Way and we are not responsibilities"

yeah think that 2nd one is deffo my favourite of all time, the wording is magical <3
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Username Taken wrote:Thank you AD! At last we have a photo of a Pizza shop sign, which I had mentioned previously elsewhere (but about the 'special' pizza places along the PP riverside) with the Khmer text at the bottom which says,
"The pizza ingredients can get you intoxicated - Don't drive!"

[Is that right, Samouth?]

Advocatus Diaboli wrote:Image
No. It reads: if you drink alcohol, please don't drive. It is a slogan that has been advertised on TV, news paper and some local restaurants for awhile.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic