Solve Dispute peacefully

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything, whether it relates to Cambodia or not. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
User avatar
kocdim
Expatriate
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:41 am
Karma: 29
Fiji

Solve Dispute peacefully

Post by kocdim » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:09 pm

How do you Solve Dispute peacefully in Cambodia?? Just example: 1 person think that the second person owns him money. The second person thinks he paid the money. If they can not agree whats the solution? Do they go to the police office and the police advice how the case to be solved in order not to go to court?? Or you need to go to local government office? Again just peaceful no argument solution. In order to avoid any complications? In some countries you go to police/local office. They listen and they advise how the problem to be solved. Then maybe small fee is payed to the office. sometimes nothing. If ether of the sides doesn't agree, they get paper from the office and they can submit the paper to the court. But if the sides agree on the issue, again other paper is given that the problem is solved and that can not be processed to the court.
Thanks
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Posts: 7832
Joined: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 pm
Karma: 588
Tokelau

Re: Solve Dispute peacefully

Post by Anchor Moy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:42 pm

I really don't know, but do you have any proof of payment at all, like the specific agreed sum taken out of your bank account on the day of the supposed payment ? That's not proof that you've paid the debt, but it backs up your argument to a certain degree.
Hopefully someone here will have some advice. They will probably advise against going to the police.
Is this dispute between two foreigners, or a foreigner and a Cambodian ?
Best of luck.
User avatar
kocdim
Expatriate
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:41 am
Karma: 29
Fiji

Re: Solve Dispute peacefully

Post by kocdim » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:40 pm

Anchor Moy wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:42 pm
I really don't know, but do you have any proof of payment at all, like the specific agreed sum taken out of your bank account on the day of the supposed payment ? That's not proof that you've paid the debt, but it backs up your argument to a certain degree.
Hopefully someone here will have some advice. They will probably advise against going to the police.
Is this dispute between two foreigners, or a foreigner and a Cambodian ?
Best of luck.
It is between the foreigner and Cambodian. There is no real need of prove because is not a court. It has just advise power. Two parties bring there case. Then ADVISE is given how to solve the problem. If it is not acceptable to both parties you need to bring it to police/court. At least thats what I think.
User avatar
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:49 am
Karma: 260
Location: Sihanoukville
Korea North

Re: Solve Dispute peacefully

Post by cptrelentless » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:40 pm

kocdim wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:40 pm
Anchor Moy wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:42 pm
I really don't know, but do you have any proof of payment at all, like the specific agreed sum taken out of your bank account on the day of the supposed payment ? That's not proof that you've paid the debt, but it backs up your argument to a certain degree.
Hopefully someone here will have some advice. They will probably advise against going to the police.
Is this dispute between two foreigners, or a foreigner and a Cambodian ?
Best of luck.
It is between the foreigner and Cambodian. There is no real need of prove because is not a court. It has just advise power. Two parties bring there case. Then ADVISE is given how to solve the problem. If it is not acceptable to both parties you need to bring it to police/court. At least thats what I think.
Commune chief first to resolve the dispute, usually. No Po-po unless you get into an actual fight, then they can arbitrate. After than you can sue, I guess. The cost increases at each point. If you have a load of money you can just go ahead and sue, court is quite expensive. Most of the time they'll just badger and threaten you until you pay, making sure your neighbours know you owe money.
User avatar
kocdim
Expatriate
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:41 am
Karma: 29
Fiji

Re: Solve Dispute peacefully

Post by kocdim » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:28 pm

cptrelentless wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:40 pm
kocdim wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:40 pm
Anchor Moy wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:42 pm
I really don't know, but do you have any proof of payment at all, like the specific agreed sum taken out of your bank account on the day of the supposed payment ? That's not proof that you've paid the debt, but it backs up your argument to a certain degree.
Hopefully someone here will have some advice. They will probably advise against going to the police.
Is this dispute between two foreigners, or a foreigner and a Cambodian ?
Best of luck.
It is between the foreigner and Cambodian. There is no real need of prove because is not a court. It has just advise power. Two parties bring there case. Then ADVISE is given how to solve the problem. If it is not acceptable to both parties you need to bring it to police/court. At least thats what I think.
Commune chief first to resolve the dispute, usually. No Po-po unless you get into an actual fight, then they can arbitrate. After than you can sue, I guess. The cost increases at each point. If you have a load of money you can just go ahead and sue, court is quite expensive. Most of the time they'll just badger and threaten you until you pay, making sure your neighbours know you owe money.
Ok thanks. That was helpful. I dont really want to go to court. I dont want make problems also. In case when the situation is very tense. In order to avoid arguments and God forbid something worse. And just to be respectful in general. Thats why i'm asking. Life is to short to keep on arguing. Is better to enjoy it :beer3:
IFLstudent
Tourist
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:35 pm
Karma: 0
Cambodia

Re: Solve Dispute peacefully

Post by IFLstudent » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:09 pm

Do you have the paperwork?
User avatar
kocdim
Expatriate
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:41 am
Karma: 29
Fiji

Re: Solve Dispute peacefully

Post by kocdim » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:57 am

IFLstudent wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:09 pm
Do you have the paperwork?
Is not a money. I said example. There is other issue. Is really not big problem. Just to know how to approach the things. Thats why i'm asking. I dont want to learn hard way with arguing and who knows what.
IFLstudent
Tourist
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:35 pm
Karma: 0
Cambodia

Re: Solve Dispute peacefully

Post by IFLstudent » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:23 am

kocdim wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:57 am
IFLstudent wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:09 pm
Do you have the paperwork?
Is not a money. I said example. There is other issue. Is really not big problem. Just to know how to approach the things. Thats why i'm asking. I dont want to learn hard way with arguing and who knows what.
This country has no laws to some extent so yeah by force I meant it
IFLstudent
Tourist
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:35 pm
Karma: 0
Cambodia

Re: Solve Dispute peacefully

Post by IFLstudent » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:24 am

Grab him by collar really quick 😂
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post