Boarding requirements flight BKK-PNH 16-03-24

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Boarding requirements flight BKK-PNH 16-03-24

Post by Kammekor »

This morning I flew from BKK to PNH on Sky Angkor Airlines. At their check in desks there was an information sheet for those in need of a visa to enter Cambodia. There were two requirements for boarding:

- Minimal 400 USD per person in cash, and
- A confirmed onward- or return ticket from Phnom Penh

Travellers beware.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Boarding requirements flight BKK-PNH 16-03-24

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Airlines covering their asses in case passengers get denied entry....those are not official requirements for Visa on Arrival, but Immigration officers will often demand them, and more, from travellers with certain passports ie. any African, South Asian, Middle Eastern, South American passport holder.

Good heads up though, because the airline will obviously apply this criteria to all pax without a Visa.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:44 pm Airlines covering their asses in case passengers get denied entry....those are not official requirements for Visa on Arrival, but Immigration officers will often demand them, and more, from travellers with certain passports ie. any African, South Asian, Middle Eastern, South American passport holder.

Good heads up though, because the airline will obviously apply this criteria to all pax without a Visa.
Just for clarity, will having a visa issued online negate this requirement? Or will the discretion of the IO at the desk still apply if you have obtained your visa online, as opposed to the VOA desk in PNH?

If the former, it just doubles down on the benefit of doing it online and saving the scrum at the VOA.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

The exact text:
Every passenger who should like to apply for visa on arrival in CAMBODIA must prepare

1. minimum 400USD (cash)
2. A confirmed return or onward itinerary
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Having an e-Visa is the same as having a Visa/EOS, so will negate the need for the requirements Kammekor posted as it says for those applying for VOA.

Having an e-Visa doesn't guarantee entry on arrival though, particularly for passport holders from certain countries as mentioned, and airlines may have more strict requirements for those passport holders also due to so many of them being denied entry on arrival.

If you have a "Western" passport, nothing to worry about.
Scots4riel
Tourist

Post by Scots4riel »

I flew BKK- PNH with Sky Angkor last week. There was a group of 10 chinese ahead of me, and after each one checked in (they checked in individually ) they handed the $400 cash to the next one waiting to check in. I saw this 10 times as I was waiting, with the same $400.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

That's funny. Always something new with them airlines. Last time I flew out of BKK, for the first time ever, the check-in clerk checked if I hadn't overstayed my Thai visa.

I fly from Bangkok (both airports) to Phnom Penh quite often, and whether or not they ask me for my visa for Cambodia and/or a flight out is totally hit and miss. Never been asked for cash though. I never have a ticket out.
DiscoverSEA
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by DiscoverSEA »

No one carries cash anymore. I certainly never do and have happily holidayed in several countries without having to handle money.

Can I confidently assume the tuktuk drivers and girls I may meet in Cambodia will have personal card readers?
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

DiscoverSEA wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:06 pm No one carries cash anymore. I certainly never do and have happily holidayed in several countries without having to handle money.

Can I confidently assume the tuktuk drivers and girls I may meet in Cambodia will have personal card readers?
Everyone here uses their own personal QR code, which every bank here issues one through their respective apps. I can't imagine what a pain in the arse it must be to have to try and use foreign-issued electronic forms of payment in Cambodia, but generally those only work at major chains and large grocery stores like Angkor Market or Makro--but even then, CP Fresh (major Thai supermarket chain here) only accepts Khmer forms of payment, so your best bet may just be cash.

As for "girls" you may meet, keep in mind that prostitution is illegal in this country, and authorities are beginning to crack down on the sort of tourist who comes here with that in mind (especially since the current government has decided to make raising Cambodia's international profile to be a top priority), so perhaps Thailand may be more to your liking?
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

Alex wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:37 pm That's funny. Always something new with them airlines. Last time I flew out of BKK, for the first time ever, the check-in clerk checked if I hadn't overstayed my Thai visa.

I fly from Bangkok (both airports) to Phnom Penh quite often, and whether or not they ask me for my visa for Cambodia and/or a flight out is totally hit and miss. Never been asked for cash though. I never have a ticket out.
I've never been asked even once for a return ticket even before I had permanent residency status; in fact, come to think of it, I've never had my bags searched or scanned at customs either (the machine at Pochengtong seems to be for decoration, since it's always off), and the closest I ever came to a security incident is on a REP-DMK flight where the security staff asked me if I had any open bottles of liquid or lotion, to which they made me throw away a somewhat expensive bottle of sunscreen I bought in Dublin; but otherwise, almost no incidents
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic