What DON'T you miss from "back home"?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

What DON'T you miss from "back home"?

Post by OrangeDragon »

A lot of talk about the things we miss, the things we dislike about Cambodia, etc... lets try something different... list the things you DON'T miss and are glad to be rid of from your western homes.
  • Traffic Cops: I somehow ALWAYS ended up in their attention and have had more traffic tickets for dumb little shit than I can count.
  • Expensive... well... everything: Rent, smokes, food, drinks, beer, clothes... this is a long list.
  • Freeway Traffic: While traffic here can be frustrating... it's not alone in that. US highways are really just glorified parking lots quite often. At least here it's not 47 miles of it... leading to my next...
  • A 47 mile commute, each way, for work: Fuck that. Period. Sucked ass.
  • Paranoia: Sometimes I've had a little more to drink than I should have when driving home. Sometimes I've bought something to get me high. Neither of those here are life ruining incidents if the cops nick you. No speed traps sitting in wait, no wondering if the guy you're buying this bag of pot from is an undercover cop... less fear.
  • The People: I don't mean my family/friends... I miss them. I mean the rest of the lot.
  • Curfew: Well, not really a curfew... but bars and shops stop selling in most cities at some point, in mine it was 2am. Sometimes you found one of the rare 3am spots. Here if I'm partial to it I can go on a bender 'till 7am, have some breakfast, and do it all over again.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: What DON'T you miss from "back home"?

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I never missed the questions asked with the intent of labelling or the categorizing of you, or putting you in some sort of social pecking order. The "where do you live" "what do you do" "what do drive" "what's your position" type questions that often masquerade as social lubrication but are most always used to try and ascertain your value, rank or worth to the other person. I have experienced this type of questioning in SEA on occasion, but nowhere near to the same extent.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I'll think of more later, but one of the biggest for me whenever I go back is the lack of mobility. Granted, I don't own a car anymore and neither do my folks (whom I stay with when I visit), but not being able to just jump on a bike, drive the wrong way 50m, gun it down a main road and reach my destination in a few mins is difficult to cope with. Public transport is great and all, but a bus+subway ride which takes 45 minutes would have taken me 15 minutes on my motorcycle. Less if I could burn a few red lights and speed... That and being able to get anything you need anywhere. Walk a few meters down the street to buy a phone card, that type of stuff.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Affirmative action.

Thank you, Bill Clinton, you fucking moron.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote:I never missed the questions asked with the intent of labelling or the categorizing of you, or putting you in some sort of social pecking order. The "where do you live" "what do you do" "what do drive" "what's your position" type questions that often masquerade as social lubrication but are most always used to try and ascertain your value, rank or worth to the other person. I have experienced this type of questioning in SEA on occasion, but nowhere near to the same extent.
440 has had some obscenely wankish one-upmanshippers. Small penises and shitty origins they cannot forget.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

OrangeDragon wrote: The People: I don't mean my family/friends... I miss them. I mean the rest of the lot.
This. If I needed just ONE reason, it's the people. Sour-faced, paranoid people who take themselves too seriously.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

vladimir wrote:Affirmative action.

Thank you, Bill Clinton, you fucking moron.
Personally I'm for confirmative action. Tell me what I want to hear baby!
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

I am very glad to be away from Australian politics right now.
Using Tapatalk
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Mrs Stroppy wrote:I am very glad to be away from Australian politics right now.
Wanna buy some refugees? I'll even Christmas Island wrap them for you...
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

Lol, nicely done! I'll pass thanks.
Using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic