British English Vs American English

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

British English Vs American English

Post by Samouth »

Lately I have been talking to an International Mass Media company that would like me to do the summary translation of article in Cambodia local news on some specific subjects. After we have been talking for awhile, it seemed like everything was okay. I am happy with everything, but just only one thing that made me to think again whether i should take this job. It is really strange that they wanted me to do the translation in BRITISH ENGLISH while the company is not eve based in any British country. Maybe their audiences are mostly British. To be honest, i find it hard and perhaps will use this as an excess to not taking the job.

In Cambodia, we learn American English, British English and maybe Australian English depending where your native speaker teachers are originally from. I have never studied with native speaker, but i read more books written in American English, talked to mostly American and also watched a lot of American TV program; so, i believed that my English is more American English, however that doesn't mean I don't know British English. I can differentiate some words and phrases, but if you ask me to write everything in British English, it is completely pain in the arse. I might be able to write everything completely in British English, but it will take a lot of effort and time.

I wonder, if you were an British, would you mind talking to someone or reading something in American English and the other way around for American?
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
bona eek
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: British English Vs American English

Post by bona eek »

Possibly your "international mass media company" may have originated in the UK or maybe some of its prime potential markets follow mostly British English - like Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, South Africa though of course all these places are likely to have their own unique variations and slang.

As an Englishman, I don't generally notice the difference between British, American and English these days though I do think written as opposed to spoken English is applied more strictly. Still, I think my only guiding light would be consistency - decide on which version to use and be disciplined about keeping to it religiously.

I can only think of one Americanism that pulls me up when I come across it - the use of "ouster" as a verb to mean dismissal or expulsion from a position. I still use ousting and ouster just stops me in my tracks when I am reading...

Anyway, language is an always developing and changing landscape with fashion often dictating popular usage especially where English is concerned.
"I'm consumed with apathy"
bona eek
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by bona eek »

By the way, if they're paying you I suppose they have a right to define which version of English to use for your translations...
"I'm consumed with apathy"
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

tbh samouth there isnt a great deal of difference other than the spelling of some words (we put an extra vowel in colour, favourite etc.) just adjust your spellcheck to british english and it should change it automatically, and useage of "american" words, you shouldnt use these "american" words, only americans can get away with talking like that and even they sound like idiots :P
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Do Khmer, language news outlets use American slang and idioms in their reporting?

Accurate translations of news without any alteration of bias, meaning, tone etc is probably what they're seeking. So you probably shouldn't be using idiomatic language, British or American, unless that language and meaning is precisely located in the original text.

Native English speakers come across all sorts of variations of English everyday, depending on where you read your news, what books your read etc, so there's really no problem dealing with different dialects, as long as the meaning can be found in the text, it's fine imo
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Samouth wrote:. . . . if you ask me to write everything in British English, it is completely pain in the arse.
That is correct.

In American English, it would be a pain in the ass.

:popcorn:
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

American English is basically the unevolved version of British English (according to Bill Bryson who by virtue of being American has no axe to grind). It's worth noting that while many believe American English to be the global leader in English, it's not true - thanks to the lovely people in India, British English is the most commonly used variant of English by about a billion or so people. Mild variants of British English are used throughout the commonwealth and former British colonies with American English being the most substantially different of them all.

There are some minor differences between American English and British English which cannot be picked up by spell check though. These include common usage words e.g. Brits say "rubbish" and Americans say "trash". They also sometimes have weird stylistic issues the use of "z" in words like sympathize is technically correct in British English (according to the Oxford Style Guide) but in practice it's very uncommon to use a "z" rather than an "s". In US English the "z" is the predominant form of the word. There are also strange rules like "that" is preferred in American English to "which" and vice-versa in British English (though neither usage is technically incorrect in either form of English).
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

1st tried to reply but got connection error.
2nd try

soon will not even bother trying

New york english

Fuckin A, Fuckin B, Fuckin C........

curb kerb
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Username Taken wrote:
Samouth wrote:. . . . if you ask me to write everything in British English, it is completely pain in the arse.
That is correct.

In American English, it would be a pain in the ass.

:popcorn:
And this would be a pain in the ass's arse :lol:

Edit - Took four minutes to post this. Serves me right for making such an "ass"inine post!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

As others have pointed out, Samouth, the differences between British and American English are not huge. Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Kenya and most of the English speaking world use British English.

Just change your computers and your typing programmes language setting to English (UK) and spellcheck will highlight any differences you may overlook. Most Windows machines and most phone software seems to be set to US English as default.

*resists urge to make joke about CEO news being an international mass media organisation*
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic