Backpackers Get Shot at in Svay Rieng Province

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Backpackers Get Shot at in Svay Rieng Province

Post by General Mackevili »

Uh oh, non-Khmer speaking foreigners get shot at while lost in Svay Rieng Province! Definitely not expats, so I can only imagine backpackers getting into this situation. The Cambodians seem to think thru were talking Russian....

Does he look Russian? Looks more Mexican to me. Or maybe he's one of the Cambodians that shot at the backpackers. Who knows...

Google Translate:

Svay Rieng province: Surprised one evening because foreign men who have lost their way into sleep in your home District to host the nervous anticipation that the pirates opened fire according to the foreigners and bag backpacks behind also detained for questioning, but by foreigners do not speak Khmer, and no one knows the English language also sue police Svay low leads to questioning.

This case occurred on September 5, 2014 at 7 pm in the village commune Po sapphire Svay low. If the host name Khuong, Chenda, 46-year-old male in the village scene, said that before the incident his family after eating policies already gathered under house approximately half an hour there was a young white foreigners at about 1.90 meters tall, aged approximately 40 years and carry bag behind, entered his home and sleep on the bed next to him and said, but do not know talk about anything, but heard the Russians.

Then looks like a very hungry kitchen preparing to eat, when to eat and foreigners lying on Gresham also reported low District Police to intervene until 11pm police calls to the Police Inspectorate Svay low Czech questioning and bag clothing medicine policies Ambok not see my ID card and passport even still prevails, no.

...click link to read original...

http://kohsantepheapdaily.com.kh/article/104506.html
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
choiboy
Tourist

Re: Backpackers Get Shot at in Svay Rieng Province

Post by choiboy »

So according to the translation they entered the guys house n got in bed with him.. Then went to the kitchen and started to cook? If that's the case, kind of deserve to get shot at..
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

He didn't get shot at. He entered the house and started to speak gibberish (maybe Russian). As the house owner saw that he looks hungry, he made him food but then the backpacker refused to leave and he laid on the bed (probably those wooden "bed" with no mattress).
That's when the house owner called the police to get him out. After checking his backpack, they found clothes and rice (ombok) but no ID document, passport or even money.
They say he's Caucasian (white skin), 1.90m-high (edit: I meant tall. But he probably was high as well :) ) and looks about 40 years old.
Last edited by Joon on Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Please keep us up to date on this one - it has huge potential as a Khmer slap-stick comedy.( Nobody died right?? In that case, not funny. )

:dm: Film scerario: big white blond Slavic-looking guy gets thrown out of a minivan in the middle of some rice-paddies.[Edit: he escapes from fierce-looking Khmer thugs.] He sees a beautiful Khmer girl (with light complexion and delicate hands) working in the paddies and he follows her home to her wooden hut. Because he's a bit simple, or even better, because he's on the run from some Khmer thugs with machetes [see edit], our hero remains hidden outside, watching the family eat and drink - there are close-ups of the girl and how cute and modest she is. The mother takes the rice-wine off the father, saying that's enough for tonight and puts it outside the door of the hut. Our hero, dying of thirst by now (shot of him dribbling at the mouth), seizes the rice-wine and drinks it down bottoms-up. :beer1:
And then, both the father and the hero are smashed on rice-wine, so this leads to a hilarious scene where they end up in bed together, each thinking that the other one is a woman :ROFL: ...not sure how to insert the kitchen scene where the hero is making cha k'dao over a charcoal fire, when he is disturbed by the girl who screams, waking the father, who enters with shotgun.
Obviously, still a bit of detail to thrash out there...but many possibilities...
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Joon wrote:He didn't get shot at.
What's that about "pirates opened fire"? Image

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

"opened fire" wouldn't be a google translate from khmer for shooting. that's an english idiom. it likely means turned on/built a fire, such as for cooking.

"open" is often their term for "turn on" or the equivalent.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

That was meant to say "turn on the light" :lol:
"Baek phloeung" in khmer literally is "open fire."
OD got it right ;)
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Anchor Moy wrote:Please keep us up to date on this one - it has huge potential as a Khmer slap-stick comedy.( Nobody died right?? In that case, not funny. )

:dm: Film scerario: big white blond Slavic-looking guy gets thrown out of a minivan in the middle of some rice-paddies.[Edit: he escapes from fierce-looking Khmer thugs.] He sees a beautiful Khmer girl (with light complexion and delicate hands) working in the paddies and he follows her home to her wooden hut. Because he's a bit simple, or even better, because he's on the run from some Khmer thugs with machetes [see edit], our hero remains hidden outside, watching the family eat and drink - there are close-ups of the girl and how cute and modest she is. The mother takes the rice-wine off the father, saying that's enough for tonight and puts it outside the door of the hut. Our hero, dying of thirst by now (shot of him dribbling at the mouth), seizes the rice-wine and drinks it down bottoms-up. :beer1:
And then, both the father and the hero are smashed on rice-wine, so this leads to a hilarious scene where they end up in bed together, each thinking that the other one is a woman :ROFL: ...not sure how to insert the kitchen scene where the hero is making cha k'dao over a charcoal fire, when he is disturbed by the girl who screams, waking the father, who enters with shotgun.
Obviously, still a bit of detail to thrash out there...but many possibilities...

I 'm confused cause I don't know if that's the start of the story or the end, but no matter , I'll go and see the movie when it's released.

Or maybe I'll wait for the book to be printed.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Joon wrote:That was meant to say "turn on the light" :lol:
OD got it right ;)
Damn. I read about pirates, and was sure I got it right.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Joon wrote:That was meant to say "turn on the light" :lol:
OD got it right ;)
Damn. I read about pirates, and was sure I got it right.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic