How do you pretend to be Poor ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

How do you pretend to be Poor ?

Post by Milord »

This is awkward, reading, talking to folks, how do you fake it ?

Nobody wants to let on that they might have it better than the next guy, how to be believably humble ?
jaclu
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: How do you pretend to be Poor ?

Post by jaclu »

By not replying to this post?
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Funnily enough, i'd agree with you. Sometimes I can't honestly reply to a post without coming off as a nob.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Milord wrote:
Nobody wants to let on that they might have it better than the next guy, how to be believably humble ?
Says who?

I just tell them I'm a TEFLer. Very little pretending to do. Image
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

General Mackevili wrote:I just tell them I'm a TEFLer. Very little pretending to do. Image
I'm sure a rich western family will sponsor you soon, though. (And serves you right, you should have been a TESOLer!)
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

Hmmm...all those who posted about "how much is enough $$" and so many people there claiming that they all have close (or well over a million US) already for retirement.

OK, since you can "reinvent" yourself on internet forums - I have well over 5 million. Uh huh. But I "need" closer to 10 for a comfortable lifestyle. The trick is that I look and act like a poor uneducated sad sack. Problem solved.
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

Where is Bosco ? I thought You needed a CELTA to claim hardship.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I don't. I just use a $100 bill to light my cigarette and laugh.
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

"pretend", yeah.. hehe..

I love telling people I work for an NGO and then gauging their reactions ( facial expressions) and then a few seconds later following it up with " Yeah, I teach English there".... then watching that expression drastically change. It is the small things in life....really.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

kiwiincambodia wrote:I don't. I just use a $100 bill to light my cigarette and laugh.
I smoked a Cuban cigar last night that a friend had given me before I left Australia. The Khmer partner of an expat mate had never seen one before was fascinated and asked him a dozen questions about it, including price. He quietly asked me how much it cost and I have to be honest, I was ashamed to answer. His partner was truly shocked and only let it slide when he emphasised that it was a present, and that's something Aussie blokes do instead of professing bromance.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic