Bad Designs and planning

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Bad Designs and planning

Post by Duncan »

Who designed the layout of the letters of a typewriter and the keyboard of a computer. Why are the letters not placed in order of the alphabet.?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Bad Designs and planning

Post by John Bingham »

It's to do with the frequency of key use and so we can type with both hands. It was also designed to prevent the mechanical typewriters jamming.

Here's a French keyboard for comparison.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-10925456
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I'm going to have to disagree with that answer, otherwise the numerals at the top would not read from 1 to 9 and 0.
Also if the layout was so we could type with both hands, why is there no layout of letters for people who [ like me ] are one finger typist's, and for the disadvantaged who only have one hand.

I think I'm going to have to redirect my questions to someone in China.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

John Bingham is correct, the keys are spread by frequency of usage in writing/typing.

I wonder what a Hawaiian keyboard looks like, only 12 letters in their alphabet.

http://www.omgfacts.com/news/4653/The-H ... rs-ab911-0
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

But as I pointed out, if frequency of use is the reason, why are numerals still listed 1 to 9. Maybe '' one '' should be in the middle where both hands have access to it
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Learn to touch type, then you'll understand.
Scarier than malaria.
TheGrinchSR
Expatriate

Post by TheGrinchSR »

The QWERTY layout was designed to slow down typing - not speed it up. It was, indeed, due to preventing mechanical typewriters from jamming. For those who want a keyboard laid out in the standard alphabet (which is the fastest typing configuration - as you might expect, having things in order is the easiest for your brain to process) you can get one - it's called a Dvorak keyboard. (They cost about the same as QWERTY layouts). Though the one figure typist might just want to buy Dragon Naturally Speaking and stop typing at all.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

Duncan wrote:Who designed the layout of the letters of a typewriter and the keyboard of a computer. Why are the letters not placed in order of the alphabet.?
Man oh man....you can ask questions !!!! Sounds a bit like "which idiot invented the alphabet and difficult words if grunting like a swine is much easier"
You just got to learn how to type ;)
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

yeah i learnt how to type when we got our first family computer in the mid 90's, had some game/program to teach how to type, so glad i did spend hours playing that game as i dont need to look or even concentrate on what im doing as its all subconscious, i guess its the same for people who learn to play the guitar or piano, your brain knows which keys are where without even thinking, id hate not being able to type fluently
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic