Cricket in Cambodia

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything, whether it relates to Cambodia or not. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
willyhilly
Expatriate

Cricket in Cambodia

Post by willyhilly » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:26 am

Are there still kids playing cricket on Saturday mornings on those football courts near the Oz Embassy. An Indian shop entrepreneur from Hong Kong had ICC funding and was starting up cricket years ago. I kicked myself for not doing the same thing. But the Facebook page is stalled at 2011.
My Cambodian girls have taken to cricket like ducks to water, it seems to suit Khmers. You don’t have to be big and strong to be a good cricketer. I must write to the ICC and see what happened. I know the Indian guy was an opportunist and knew fuck all about coaching or cricket.
Thai cricket is thriving, the women are terrific. That whole set up is run by an Indian Mafia. They always wanted my son to play World Cup qualifying games but he was too busy. And they wouldn’t pay him.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Re: Cricket in Cambodia

Post by prahocalypse now » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:32 am

With all the victims of landmines in this country, there's no shortage of stumps.
willyhilly
Expatriate

Post by willyhilly » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:49 am

And with all the bar girls no shortage of sticky wickets.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:13 am

If you only select Cambodian batsmen who suffer from frequent stomach aches and diarrhea, they'll always get the runs.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:04 pm

willyhilly wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:26 am
Are there still kids playing cricket on Saturday mornings on those football courts near the Oz Embassy. An Indian shop entrepreneur from Hong Kong had ICC funding and was starting up cricket years ago. I kicked myself for not doing the same thing. But the Facebook page is stalled at 2011.
My Cambodian girls have taken to cricket like ducks to water, it seems to suit Khmers. You don’t have to be big and strong to be a good cricketer. I must write to the ICC and see what happened. I know the Indian guy was an opportunist and knew fuck all about coaching or cricket.
Thai cricket is thriving, the women are terrific. That whole set up is run by an Indian Mafia. They always wanted my son to play World Cup qualifying games but he was too busy. And they wouldn’t pay him.
You really dont want to put khmer in a competitive game and give them pointy bits of wood to stab each other with and clubs as well. The motorbike races they had on koh pich clealy showed that thry are not waiting for tge refs decision
willyhilly
Expatriate

Post by willyhilly » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:26 pm

Thanks, funny thread. I think the Indian shot through. I don’t think cricket will ever get a foothold now. Opportunity for Australia to show the flag. For a few millions over five years there would be great progress.
RunnerB
Tourist
Christmas Island

Post by RunnerB » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:38 pm

There's a children's cricket class run by coach Andy Hains at Cool Sport Club on Street 135 between Streets 474 and 478 on Fridays from 4.30pm to 5.30pm. He also runs football and karate classes.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

• Advertisement
Booking.com