Has anyone ever seen a horse in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Has anyone ever seen a horse in Cambodia?

Post by xandreu »

Pretty sure in all my years of living here, I’ve never once seen a horse. Either wild in the countryside, kept in a field in the countryside, as part of an official military parade, never seen the police on horseback, never seen them in zoos or wildlife sanctuaries, not aware of any stables anywhere, they just don’t seem to exist in Cambodia. Yet every Cambodia I’ve asked knows what they are and what they’re called.

Do horses exist here? Am I going mad?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Has anyone ever seen a horse in Cambodia?

Post by pissontheroof »

Yes there are.
I saw some in sihanoukville along time ago .. I took a girl out to ride them at a stable behind otres beach area .
That was years ago and I forgot how much we paid to ride
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Yes, at a French resort out in Chum Chao a few years ago. I've seen dozens of ponies but very few horses. Tropical areas don't suit large equines well.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

John Bingham wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:28 am I've seen dozens of ponies but very few horses. Tropical areas don't suit large equines well.
True also in the big southern archipelago, many ponies, few horses.
The climate is a bit fresher overall, although on the equator and very tropical indeed.
Not the biggest horses of all breeds i guess, but police seems fine with it.

"Japanese horses" on the other hand...plenty of them
Spoiler:
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

There is a really nice horse ranch here in Siem Reap that also has an unchartered Angkor-era Ganesha shrine on its premises. I've seen a lot of horses in Siem Reap because of them, anyway
Zyzz
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Zyzz »

When i stand naked in the mirror
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

There was a large horse stables over by me near the airport and every now and then a few horses would get out and you would see them wandering around Chouk Meas, also cambodia country club has some horses
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Ghostwriter wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:53 am
John Bingham wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:28 am I've seen dozens of ponies but very few horses. Tropical areas don't suit large equines well.
True also in the big southern archipelago, many ponies, few horses.
The climate is a bit fresher overall, although on the equator and very tropical indeed.
Not the biggest horses of all breeds i guess, but police seems fine with it.

"Japanese horses" on the other hand...plenty of them
Spoiler:
#basashi
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Siem rep has happy ranch horse farm, my daughter loved riding there
Kep has horses as well
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

still very occasionally see little horse (I don't think they are ponies just little horses) pulling farmers carts around Kampot
And there was a Horse treking/riding business at the back of Otres before 2018

There are also two white horses in Kep one as you arrive from Kampot the other if you go along the new concrete road from Kep to Angkol beach...but they are big white statues and dont forget the one down river from Kampot with a rider on its back ..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic