Used my outside voice with a fake PassApp driver, and Scammer Steve

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Used my outside voice with a fake PassApp driver, and Scammer Steve

Post by StroppyChops »

A couple of observations that may be of interest (or not).

A couple of our tenants arrived home last night in a PassApp tuktuk, and immediately got into an exchange with the driver about the fare from Aeon Mall to Boeung Tompun. The driver claimed his App wasn't working, and was seeking $8 or more from the two western women, mother and daughter, one elderly. They've previously paid $2.5 for this trip and had tried to do so again, and when the driver arced up paid another $1 for him to go away like a good chap. His lolly was promptly lost as he'd been driving them around cluelessly for some time and wanted to be compensated for time spent driving aimlessly. One of the ladies had called two reputable drivers she uses often and put the driver on with them to give directions, to not much avail.

I was washing out the garage section of the homestay as they arrived and when I realised it was getting ugly I had the two ladies step inside and dealt with the matter. After 45 minutes of back-and-forth (I know, my mistake) I encouraged the driver to wander off like a good chap, in Australian vernacular, before he started to annoy me. When he stated the fare was $8 I pointed to my tuktuk, told him I drive tuktuks here, and asked him to repeat how much to fare was for PassApp, which he refused to engage with. He was also very reluctant to show me his PassApp ID, his phone, for me to call PassApp or get the boleeh involved, and was quite upset when I took photos of him and his tuktuk.

Apparently he thought bemoaning the situation to all of my neighbours, one by one, as they came out to enjoy the spectacle, would aid his cause. Clearly, he did not understand that many he was trying to involve are old-school tuktuk drivers themselves, with no love for PassApp drivers. Eventually I just shut the gate on him (which, admittedly, I should have done in the first 5 minutes) and left him seeking a more compassionate audience.

My advice to unwary expats using PassApp, if the App is not working on the driver's phone before you get into the tuktuk, don't get in. This guy was not a legitimate driver, as the actual driver called the western woman shortly after she accepted the ride to ask where she was - that is, he'd poached the fare.

I'm sure someone will be along to chastise/explain to me the economics of why tourists should have to pay more to scammy drivers, those people can line up over there in the far queue.

Oh, and Scammer Steve is back plying his trade in TTP. He tried to hit me up again on the weekend with "Excuse me sir, are you a western missionary?" from across the street. I responded with "Steve, we've met many times already" to which he grunted and walked off. With this guy's dedication to his craft, he'd make an excellent PR exec somewhere. Or a court process worker.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Used my outside voice with a fake PassApp driver, and Scammer Steve

Post by Username Taken »

The problem with all these new tuk tuks is they don't have number plates. How are we to know which is the PassApp tuk tuk that we called?

That problem is currently being rectified, I believe.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

yeah apparently those bajaj RE have been seized bigly for no import tax
the master importers have a very poor reputation for not paying bills to promo agencies
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Does anyone know if they're supposed to show a driver's card in the cab?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:12 pm How are we to know which is the PassApp tuk tuk that we called?
I gently schooled the Westerners on this point - the App gives the name of the driver, so simply ask the driver his name! Yeah, good comment on the plates though. They have a vehicle number on the side but it's too easy to duplicate.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

these apps have made fleet development possible- a good thing- but they need security end to end to ID the contracting parties.
not hard to do with a generic app template.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:23 pm these apps have made fleet development possible- a good thing- but they need security end to end to ID the contracting parties.
not hard to do with a generic app template.
They also need smarter customers - what the two western tourists did was just dumb, in hindsight.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

I try to use tuk tuks as I know most only have this as the family income. Having said that I get pissed at the ones who try to charge too much for travel.
I know what the prices are and will not pay more except at night (after sunset) and holiday times.
Most are good blokes and are good operators even if doubtful drivers at times.
I have used the PassApp when none of the locals are available and find that they are cheaper and I check their name as well as you can ask them to show their phone with your name as the client.
Most I have dealt with speak limited English but I have never had an issue with them.
If things dont look right just cancel the trip.
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

I use passapp quite often, I always make sure of the color of tuk tuk and when I get in, they always know my destination,. If not, I don't get in, I'm not a fan of giving directions.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:12 pm The problem with all these new tuk tuks is they don't have number plates. How are we to know which is the PassApp tuk tuk that we called?

That problem is currently being rectified, I believe.
News story here newsworthy/illegal-tuk-tuk-crackdown-t16445.html

:hattip:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic