Petrol shortage

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Petrol shortage

Post by Khmu Nation »

Are you experiencing them? Laos is regularly running out of petrol and the prices have gone through the roof. Massive queues, gas stations open for a couple of hours a day - if it all. I am even thhnking of getting a Sabai electric motorbike.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Petrol shortage

Post by AndyKK »

Khmu Nation wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:35 pm Are you experiencing them? Laos is regularly running out of petrol and the prices have gone through the roof. Massive queues, gas stations open for a couple of hours a day - if it all. I am even thhnking of getting a Sabai electric motorbike.
I have to admit I went to see a few electric scooters yesterday.

Always "hope" but never "expect".
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

The Sabai ones look like motorbikes. They are very economical apparently. I am seeing more and more of them.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Khmu Nation wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:50 pm The Sabai ones look like motorbikes. They are very economical apparently. I am seeing more and more of them.
The Chinese ones are all over the country, school kid and grandma seem to be the market. That's the sit on moto type.

The stand-up scooter I looked at yesterday surprised me -

3 computer modes
Top speed of 55kmh
Range 45km
Charge time 3 hours
Always "hope" but never "expect".
roadman
Expatriate

Post by roadman »

Interested to hear more about this topic.

Those electric scooters are lethal, some can hit over 70 to 80kph. They are pretty much silent and you don't hear them coming. Nearly wiped out a few students in Vietnam who just come flying out of nowhere to test my braking prowess. Helmets aren't very common on electric bike riders there either.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

From what I’ve read, it’s a good idea for people to research on the batteries used - fire risk some of them
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Khmu Nation wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:35 pm Are you experiencing them? Laos is regularly running out of petrol and the prices have gone through the roof. Massive queues, gas stations open for a couple of hours a day - if it all. I am even thhnking of getting a Sabai electric motorbike.
There's no petrol shortage here
roadman
Expatriate

Post by roadman »

What is the current price of fuel in Laos?
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I dont know the exact price but last year it cost $5 to fill my bike up from empty and it's now $10.
roadman
Expatriate

Post by roadman »

Khmu Nation wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:02 pm I dont know the exact price but last year it cost $5 to fill my bike up from empty and it's now $10.
I usually look at petrol pump meters when I fill up.

Found this - https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/Laos ... ne_prices/

says

LAK 22,190.000 83,998.248
USD 1.742 6.594
EUR 1.649 6.242

That is litre first then gallon prices second.

for comparison it is 28k VND or 1.20 USD in Vietnam's capital today. (per litre)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic