It's just politics, man; nothing personal

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
United States of America

It's just politics, man; nothing personal

Post by nightmare.believer »

I'll have to admit that I am not very conversant when it comes to Cambodian politics. At one time, I was very interested in American politics. But what it has become, what we as a people have become is not something that I would choose to converse upon, and if I did so partake, nothing good would be said about the situation anyways.

But what about chatting with other expats about Cambodian politics? Is it a topic which is not broached much because most expats are not so knowledgeable about the topic, we are not interested in the topic, or feel, like me, that as visitors in the Kingdom, it is not our place to offer opinions about which party or which politician we think are either good or bad? Listening to, or overhearing, a foreigner's strong opinions on politics or on society does not usually go over well in many places, foreign or domestic.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: It's just politics, man; nothing personal

Post by vladimir »

nightmare.believer wrote:or feel, like me, that as visitors in the Kingdom, it is not our place to offer opinions about which party or which politician we think are either good or bad?
I've never understood that thinking.

I treat it like a restaurant: you pay, and you have the right to voice your opinion. In any event, the motivation behind the comment is important; constructive criticism should be welcomed.

I suspect the powers that be would welcome any positive comments, I'm not sure about any negative input, no matter how diplomatically termed.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

I talk about it all the time with friends and acquaintances. But after a while, the conversation just run in circle.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
United States of America

vladimir wrote:
nightmare.believer wrote:or feel, like me, that as visitors in the Kingdom, it is not our place to offer opinions about which party or which politician we think are either good or bad?
In such situations back in Barangland, I though the foreigner out of place to opine in the negative about domestic issues. Why? None of his damned business. You're in Cambodia as a guest of the country. It's the same thing. You might live there or even have a business, but everything politics is really none of your business. Many countries in Asia have had direct experience with foreigners interfering in past domestic situations, so the government and the people, in this case, would be more sensitive to foreign(ers)' opinions.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

nightmare.believer wrote:
vladimir wrote:
In such situations back in Barangland, I though the foreigner out of place to opine in the negative about domestic issues. Why? None of his damned business. You're in Cambodia as a guest of the country. It's the same thing. You might live there or even have a business, but everything politics is really none of your business. Many countries in Asia have had direct experience with foreigners interfering in past domestic situations, so the government and the people, in this case, would be more sensitive to foreign(ers)' opinions.
Take me for example. Politics here impact me, my life, my business, my family life, my extended family, etc. I have more than a visitors worth of vested interest in the success and growth of this country.
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
United States of America

OrangeDragon wrote:
nightmare.believer wrote:
vladimir wrote:
Take me for example. Politics here impact me, my life, my business, my family life, my extended family, etc. I have more than a visitors worth of vested interest in the success and growth of this country.
And there is not a single thing you can do about the political situation, and talking about it can only hurt you.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

^ just a little Orwellian don't you think, NB?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
United States of America

StroppyChops wrote:^ just a little Orwellian don't you think, NB?
Not for SE Asia.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

OrangeDragon wrote: Take me for example. Politics here impact me, my life, my business, my family life, my extended family, etc. I have more than a visitors worth of vested interest in the success and growth of this country.
Yeah but most posters have much less at stake here than you, and therefore don't feel the need or purpose to get too involved in local politics. I can't imagine locals anywhere appreciating foreigners getting involved in their politics. The locals might tolerate anyone who agrees with their own personal views voicing an opinion, but God help you if cross the line and take a position contrary to theirs. Could get quite ugly for you.
Born-Confused
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Born-Confused »

Soi Dog wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote: Take me for example. Politics here impact me, my life, my business, my family life, my extended family, etc. I have more than a visitors worth of vested interest in the success and growth of this country.
Yeah but most posters have much less at stake here than you, and therefore don't feel the need or purpose to get too involved in local politics. I can't imagine locals anywhere appreciating foreigners getting involved in their politics. The locals might tolerate anyone who agrees with their own personal views voicing an opinion, but God help you if cross the line and take a position contrary to theirs. Could get quite ugly for you.
I think that's the key - get involved at an arms length. I tried to show an interest in my former Khmer staffs' attitudes and ideals toward politics, and most if not all (and these were a very educated lot) were very coy about giving straight answers, and even told me to be very careful with what I say, not for fear for them, but for any eavesdroppers. I'm not paranoid, so didn't bother me, but it did bother them!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic