Cambodia's Big Sticky Rice Cake Made Guinness World Record!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia's Big Sticky Rice Cake Made Guinness World Record!

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Siem Reap: Cambodia's traditional sticky rice, which was made to celebrate the Angkor Sankranta Festival 2015 in Siem Reap City on April 13 was judged as the biggest stick rice cake in the world and was included in the Guinness Book of World Records, according to Reuters.

The cake weighed about 4.04 tons and is one meter in diameter and five meters long. It was made of one ton of sticky rice, 507 kilograms of pork, 499 kilograms of beans, 499 kilograms of coconut cream, 15 kilograms of salt, 4 kilograms of sugar, 3 kilograms of pepper, and 26 kilograms of garlic. It was packed by 333 kilograms of banana leaves and was tied by about 375 kilogram of strings.

The cake took 45 hours to cook and about 100 chefs participated on cooking, according to the statement released by the Guinness Book of Records judge. The statement also noted that the cake is been prepared in accordance with technical standards.

The cake is likely to be exhibited during the Khmer New Year Celebrations from Tuesday to Thursday this week.

http://oryza.com/22357/cambodias-larges ... rld-record

Also, a very good write-up about it on http://www.MoveToCambodia.com which also talks about the Khmer New Year celebrations as a whole with some really good pics from Siem Reap.

http://www.movetocambodia.com/holidays/ ... -new-year/

Video of the sticky rice cake being made:

Engrish:
Spoiler:
Siem Reap: Cambodia's giant cakes, place cooked up more than 4 tons when completed, record-heavyweight in the world and has been included in the world record.
Meanwhile be included in the record world, Guinness World Records said thousands of Khmer people, especially some Reap Angkor parade and others lining the road and they rejoiced with giant cakes Khmer.
Cakes giant Khmer-weight of about 3.2 tons of time yet to cook and weighs over 4 tons next cook already was Ms. Seyda Subasi Gemici representatives Guinness World Records announced inclusion of the world record in the afternoon after having been evaluated elaborate on weight flavored cake with ingredients, as well as quality of the cake as well. She said Seyda Subasi Gemici cakes heavyweight in the world.
According to a press release by the EU Youth Federation, the giant cakes weighing more than 4 tons after cooking for 45 hours, the weight is the weight of unprecedented. Cakes was packaged by banana weighs 333 kg and cables Banana 375 kg, with ingredients angkordamnaeb 1,000 kg coconut milk 499 kg of salt, 15 kg green beans 499 kilograms of pork, three-story 507 kg salt 3 kg sugar 4 kilos Kampot pepper 3 kg garlic, minced 10 kg and sloekakhtoem gosari 16 kg. Cakes are cooked, technically accurate and appealing flavor, especially the cakes are cooked by chef ANNUAL Khmer and 100 close.
Chan Sophea Chef Association representative, said the happy feeling that as representatives of the Association of Chefs, as well as people across the country, he is so proud that the team all together prominent in the world.
At the same time announcing a giant cakes in the world record parade Theater Securities held central city of Angkor, with participants and thousands lining the route.
The procession started off from Hotel Royal Thales and health Intersection turn towards a circular stadium. Parade under cries chykhos significantly boosted, then continued traveling along the river towards preahreach_damnak him bananas he may already surrounded the front of Angkor and continue towards the temples Bayon before being completed at the Terrace of the place where they will be upheld cakes event Angkor crack dream once.
Cakes from the beginning of the parade giant brings depression happy especially proud for Khmer Angkor.

Team World Records (Guinness World Records) came to Siem Reap, and on the afternoon of April 12, 2015, waiting to evaluate its giant cakes Khmer, which weighs 3.2 tons.

Sam Treasury officials Union Youth Federation of Cambodia (respectable.. By. A), a spokesman for the Angkor Sankranti said representatives Guinness World Records arrived in Siem Reap at the time, more than 3 pm today to check ansaom giant Cambodia to be integrated into the world record.

SAM Group Treasury said Guinness World Records awarded world record immediately if they found that these cakes have distinctive features and above the world.

Please note that the country's giant cakes that will be exhibited at the Angkor ruins Sankranti weigh up to 3.2 tons, with a diameter of 1 meter length of 5 meters and larger than last year.

Giant cakes are produced by about 100 chefs and divided into several groups. Packaging giant cakes are ready and cooked on this past April 10, 2015, until the evening of April 12 was already cooking and preparation and extraction.

Long Bora Deputy Chef Association suggests that the giant cakes this year, and that led to more than a year ago, the team created a template, and cooking techniques better than last year. The Long Bora giant cakes can save up to 16 April.
Last edited by CEOCambodiaNews on Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Cambodia's Big Sticky Rice Cake Made Guinness World Reco

Post by General Mackevili »

Cooked rice is one of the things that it's easiest to get food poisoning from, and they are driving the thing around in the sun all day, leaving it at the temples overnight, and then having a rice cake eating contest tomorrow afternoon, LoL! It will be a wonder if no one gets sick!

: facepalm:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Cambodia's Big Sticky Rice Cake Made Guinness World Rec

Post by Anchor Moy »

General Mackevili wrote:Cooked rice is one of the things that it's easiest to get food poisoning from, and they are driving the thing around in the sun all day, leaving it at the temples overnight, and then having a rice cake eating contest tomorrow afternoon, LoL! It will be a wonder if no one gets sick!

You're just jealous GM. Absolutely no problem as long as you drink plenty of beer (It flushes out the toxins) :beer1:
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

I think a CEO member should quickly make the world's SMALLEST sticky rice thingy while the Guinness Book of World Records is still in Cambodia and we will go down in history!

:Yahoo!:

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

I am going to Siem Reap today and thinking I will join the contest lol. Lets see if I get sick.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

General Mackevili wrote:Cooked rice is one of the things that it's easiest to get food poisoning from, and they are driving the thing around in the sun all day, leaving it at the temples overnight, and then having a rice cake eating contest tomorrow afternoon, LoL! It will be a wonder if no one gets sick!

if we cook very well, we can keep it for many days withough fridge. In the past it was a good food to bring with when soldiers go to fight because we can keep it for long time.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
General Chatter
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by General Chatter »

ergot fungus.....I was taught this at school and again at university....but I see folks eating old rice without problems....
I was born with nothing , and I still have most of it left.

ChessCube Account name is generalchat
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

General Chatter wrote:ergot fungus.....I was taught this at school and again at university....but I see folks eating old rice without problems....
That might explain the 'tripped out' look that we see in the provinces. :popcorn:
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Samouth wrote:I am going to Siem Reap today and thinking I will join the contest lol. Lets see if I get sick.
Awesome! This will be a CEO experiment! Image

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Here's a picture of them making this huge sticky rice cake thingy...

I didn't know what the hell it was when I saw it in the news a few days ago.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic