"Sandbox" scheme

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
troelshartmann
Expatriate
Australia

"Sandbox" scheme

Post by troelshartmann »

Anyone got any further details on the sandbox scheme for Siem Reap, Sihanoukville and Koh Rong?

I want to know what it means by "tour group" and "high end" tourists and how you go about booking.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50961045/s ... p-kingdom/
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: "Sandbox" scheme

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Haha, yea, sweet f**k all clear, concise information about this scheme yet, it's kinda obvious who it mainly geared towards though.

topic47094.html
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jcml19 »

yup... never understood the "high end" tourist mumbo-jumbo.... pretty sure if I were bill gates, I'd go anywhere I wanted or buy an island i do not already own....

market for "high end" tourist limited because I'm pretty sure their choices will be a sweet az island in the pacific. dealing with the craziness of KOW is probably not something they have on their list

nevertheless it's opening albeit slowly.... :facepalm:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:11 pm Haha, yea, sweet f**k all clear, concise information about this scheme yet, it's kinda obvious who it mainly geared towards though.

topic47094.html
@OP Yeah, I would wait a bit.
Information up until now is not clear. So far, it seems to suggest that Cambodia is focused on opening up to tourism from Asian tour groups, particularly from China. But if you are not flying from China, I really would not get too excited in advance.

However, TIC, and all the rules could change tomorrow. :D
LoukBongThom
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by LoukBongThom »

And the sandbox seems to be trying to match what Thailand (Phuket) and Vietnam (Phu Quoc) offer, but geographically is not making sense. Phuket and Phu Quoc are isolated islands with very limited population, where tourists cannot even escape without going thru proper designated transport means, such as flights and boats, which can be easily supervised. SV and Siemreap are populous cities with numeous exit ways out.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Targeted population are Chinese tourist groups. Chinese want to be with other Chinese, eat Chinese food, stay in Chinese hotels, move in groups on Chinese tourist buses. Going off the beaten path and experience the real native culture is not a strong desire.

The sandbox plan will be a success.
donner-kruger
Expatriate
Sweden

Re:

Post by donner-kruger »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:47 am Targeted population are Chinese tourist groups. Chinese want to be with other Chinese, eat Chinese food, stay in Chinese hotels, move in groups on Chinese tourist buses. Going off the beaten path and experience the real native culture is not a strong desire.

No wonder since most of them can't speak English. I don't understand why people complain so much about this. These Chinese companies hire local Cambodian staff and pay Cambodian taxes.
donner-kruger
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by donner-kruger »

LoukBongThom wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:47 pm And the sandbox seems to be trying to match what Thailand (Phuket) and Vietnam (Phu Quoc) offer, but geographically is not making sense. Phuket and Phu Quoc are isolated islands with very limited population, where tourists cannot even escape without going thru proper designated transport means, such as flights and boats, which can be easily supervised. SV and Siemreap are populous cities with numeous exit ways out.
What isn't making sense is to keep these ridiculous restrictions now when everyone is vaccinated.
ArminLaschet
Tourist
Germany

Re:

Post by ArminLaschet »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:47 am Targeted population are Chinese tourist groups. Chinese want to be with other Chinese, eat Chinese food, stay in Chinese hotels, move in groups on Chinese tourist buses. Going off the beaten path and experience the real native culture is not a strong desire.

Chinese people aren`t even allowed to leave China until at least Q2 2022. I can only imagine a few Koreans or Japanese coming, IF they have friends or family in Cambodia, otherwise Thailand seems like the better deal with "no quarantine" and a similar amount of buerocratic hoops to jump through.
Also there`s no flights arriving in Sihanoukville airport, so the only way to go there would be a transit flight from PP.
:tophat:
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: Re:

Post by rogerrabbit »

ArminLaschet wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:24 pm

Chinese people aren`t even allowed to leave China until at least Q2 2022. I can only imagine a few Koreans or Japanese coming, IF they have friends or family in Cambodia, otherwise Thailand seems like the better deal with "no quarantine" and a similar amount of buerocratic hoops to jump through.
Also there`s no flights arriving in Sihanoukville airport, so the only way to go there would be a transit flight from PP.
That is not true. Chinese people are allowed to leave China. Only what is forbidded is sale of package holidays / travels. But invidual outbound tourism is allowed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic