The West gives so much opportunities for their youths

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

The West gives so much opportunities for their youths

Post by Samouth »

Every time, I saw young foreigners walking along the streets, I always thought that they were tourists or backpackers who came to Cambodia on vacation. However, it sometimes turned out so wrong. Some of them are residing and working in Cambodian. I didn't realise about this until I got to know a few young foreigners who I met when i went to play the volleyball where so many young foreigners gathered to play twice a week.

To practice my speaking skill, to learn about their cultures and especially to find out the reasons they are here, I always started the conversation with them and i always has been doing the same time for a few weeks. Now, some of them became my best friends and acquaintance. Not to mention, I learnt a lot of things from them and vice versa when it comes to culture and lifestyle. Furthermore, i learned that most of them are working as intern at some of the big international organisations such as UN, UNDP and USAID. They do not get any salary or allowance from those organisations, but from their government. This is such a great opportunity to be able to work in the foreign countries and to experience different kinds of lifestyle.

PS: My government (The Kingdom of Wonder) will never be able to give me such chance.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: The West gives so much opportunities for their youths

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Actually, the difference is in the west we are taught to stand on our own 2 feet at a young age. I started working when i was 15, moved out of home at 16 and lived by myself ever since.

My now ex wife's brother is 22 and still living at home with his sister (not the ex) and is considered to young to live alone and support himself. He has to follow the rules set out by the family and cannot do anything with their approval.

When Cambodians realize that there is a life away from the family they can choose to have the same experiences in the open world as western youth supposedly have as long as they are willing to work hard and become self sufficient.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Since I live in rural Cambodia, I can say that the local population of children is only introduced to a handful of employment possibilities from the whole spectrum of possibilities. And even for most of those a ksai(string) or connection is required in order to get a job. The govt. here simply does not care about the abilities or aspirations of rural youth. Let them work in factories or brickyards etc. Good enough for them.
Last edited by taabarang on Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Fair enough, but they are never going to be able to better themselves when they stay at home, or close enough, to mummy and daddy until they at 30 years old.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

KiWI you make lack of opportunity and substandard education sound like a personal choice. I suggest you live with the people before you post such blatant ignorance. in our village they don't live at home with their parents even at a very young age, because mom and dad have gone to Thailand to work either legally or illegally to send money home. No mom an pop farm makes a living any more. You know lots about western virtue and nothing about Cambodian rural conditions.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I have work with a lot of Khmers since I have been here some from provincial backgrounds with little to no opportunity or education but they chose to get off their ass and make something out of their life.

Blaming others for your misfortune is never going to get you anywhere. Waiting for handouts is even worse.

The Khmers I have worked with have worked hard every day to keep the job they were given and continue to learn and grow and now have the chance to be better for it.

The opportunity is there for everyone, if they want it bad enough they will find a way to succeed.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

That is the most simplistic rationale since Ronald Reagan was in office. The proper name is exploitation. Again, you don't live with them under the circumstances they have to endure. They are resilient you are ridiculously pompous about a situation you clearly have no first hand information on.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I'm sorry I forgot that what happens in your small village in Kampong Cham is how it works everywhere in Cambodia.

You're right, it's all the governments fault and everyone should be given everything for free.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Samouth wrote: i learned that most of them are working as intern at some of the big international organisations such as UN, UNDP and USAID. They do not get any salary or allowance from those organisations, but from their government. This is such a great opportunity to be able to work in the foreign countries and to experience different kinds of lifestyle.

PS: My government (The Kingdom of Wonder) will never be able to give me such chance.
I do think they are fortunate to experience that at a young age and hopefully it opens up their eyes and they learn and benefit from the opportunity. It's easy to take a good education system for granted coming from the West and I do feel fortunate seeing the situation in some countries where I've worked. Personally It took me a lot of years of hard work and planning and a bit of luck to realise my ambition to work overseas. But they say you make your own luck through hard work.

What I would say Samouth is that it's not all a bed of roses in the West, youth unemployment is extremely high in some European countries. Spain for example has 55% youth unemployment and half of all under 30's still live with their parents. You are seeing the fortunate few and not the typical majority.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

kiwiincambodia wrote:Fair enough, but they are never going to be able to better themselves when they stay at home, or close enough, to mummy and daddy until they at 30 years old.
You seem to be making judgments on Cambodians through your own experiences and culture and not theirs, or their reality. The taunting tone of "Staying close enough to mommy and daddy" is a bit condescending, don't you think? Why should they emulate your life? You think your independent lifestyle of moving away at age 16 would have served you as well as it did if you were born a Khmer in Cambodia, or in any very poor country? You are wrong. It's not fair to judge the average Cambodian youth by your specific New Zealand opportunities and realities. Apples and oranges.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic