Kicking the habit

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Kicking the habit

Post by IraHayes »

Trying, once more, to stop smoking. I have patches and a fair amount of will power to do it this time but has anybody successfully quit smoking while living here?
heartymarty
Tourist
Great Britain

Re: Kicking the habit

Post by heartymarty »

The evil weed is a bastard to say goodbye to . I gave it up after thirty five years of serious puffing . That was sixteen years ago . Never looked back . Retired and living in PP now . The last seven years of working I was an addictions counsellor . Class A stuff .. opiates , crack and the like . But same basic approach works with any addiction .Just joined this forum . If i can be of any help . Feel free to ask .
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Have you tried switching to cigars? You end up smoking less, and there's a good argument that they're less harmful - especially if you gradually move to not fully inhaling.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

StroppyChops wrote:Have you tried switching to cigars? You end up smoking less, and there's a good argument that they're less harmful - especially if you gradually move to not fully inhaling.
Yes, strange as it may seem - if you feel like you've got to smoke something, a couple of chugs on a cigar can ease the pangs without getting you back into cigarettes. The worst thing to do is to start smoking OPs (other people's smokes) because eventually you'll buy a packet out of guilt - and it's all downhill from there.

(Another approach is to smoke only pure weed, but I never saw any good results from that :)

Anyway, good luck.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I think the most effective way is you have to really want to stop smoking.

If you are only doing it to please someone or are not 100% commuted to quoting you will fail.
heartymarty
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by heartymarty »

StroppyChops wrote:Have you tried switching to cigars? You end up smoking less, and there's a good argument that they're less harmful - especially if you gradually move to not fully inhaling.
Wont work . You will inhale , you need your nicotine fix . Mouth and throat cancer awaits . The only way to stop smoking is to decide to .
General Chatter
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by General Chatter »

cigars or weed...the latter makes you forget your craving and other unimportant stuff as well....
I was born with nothing , and I still have most of it left.

ChessCube Account name is generalchat
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I quit 13 months ago, while I still worked in my Phnom Penh bar every day.

Apart from an intense desire to kill certain customers, which I resisted, and barring a few more, which was good for business in the long run; I got past the cravings with nothing more than a bottomless supply of whiskey and beer supplemented with the occasional pure spliff to tide me over.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Jerry Atrick wrote:I quit 13 months ago, while I still worked in my Phnom Penh bar every day.

Apart from an intense desire to kill certain customers, which I resisted, and barring a few more, which was good for business in the long run; I got past the cravings with nothing more than a bottomless supply of whiskey and beer supplemented with the occasional pure spliff to tide me over.
I once had a miserable little git of a public service manager(ess) who gave up chronic chain smoking - within a week we begged her to take it up again, or take long service leave. Thank God she listened as there may have been one more shallow grave out in the desert.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

kiwiincambodia wrote:I think the most effective way is you have to really want to stop smoking.

If you are only doing it to please someone or are not 100% commuted to quoting you will fail.
I agree with your idea. My dad also smokes. He stopped smoking for few months ,but he restarts it. He told us that he doen't want to give up smoking. When dad smokes I always go out.
@IH: if you really want to give up smoking, you will because I think you also know the disadventages of smoking. Stop smoking is not only love yourself ,but you also love your family and people around you.
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic