Patient Complains About Lack of Covid-19 Precautions in Calmette Hospital

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Patient Complains About Lack of Covid-19 Precautions in Calmette Hospital

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

January 12, 2021
SOP comes apart: No social distancing at Calmette hospital
In a shocking development, outpatients at a public hospital are being allowed to blatantly disregard social distancing measures strictly put in place to prevent any spread of COVID-19.

A patient who visited the Ministry of Health-managed Calmette hospital yesterday morning revealed that social distancing measures were completely disregarded with staff seemingly unconcerned as they passed by.

The patient snapped a photo as he was waiting for a prescription, which showed people huddling together as they waited for service.

“At first I was surprised to see scores of people not social distancing, disregarding signs put on chairs to leave them empty as a social distancing measure with some even sharing the same seat,” said the patient who chose not to be named.

“It made me uncomfortable and it made me worry about the risk of catching COVID-19. Medical staff were milling about but nothing was being done to rectify the situation and the outside area was also crowded with people in close proximity,” he added.

The patient said masks were being worn by most, although he did notice some not being worn properly.

He noted that being a Monday the hospital was crowded with scores sitting on benches outside either waiting for family members or waiting to find a spot inside to be attended to.

He said other virus preventive measures, however, were in place such as visitors having their temperature taken upon entering and being sprayed with sanitiser.

The patient said that the previous week, he also encountered a total disregard for social distancing when he went for registration at the hospital.

He wondered how the Health Ministry will be able to convince other establishments, such as banks, to enforce social distancing when its own hospital was not doing so.

Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine could not be reached for comment after multiple attempts to contact her. Ministry spokesman Ly Sovann declined to comment.

Calmette Hospital staff likewise declined to comment.

Calmette Hospital is a public institution managed by the Ministry of Health, which has enforced virus prevention measures across the country.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50802617/s ... -hospital/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Patient Complains About Lack of Covid-19 Precautions in Calmette Hospital

Post by xandreu »

The fact is that it's almost impossible to socially distance. Not just in Cambodia but everywhere. The UK is having the same issues. Society, and people's mindset's are simply not set up for social distancing. Walk into any school, restaurant or coffee shop in Cambodia and you will see that social distancing is more of an ambition than a reality.

It would take a generation or two to change simple things such as Khmer driving habits. It's pretty much impossible to change people's ingrained social behaviour overnight.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

What total nonsense. There is no coronavirus in Cambodia. Nobody is sick. Nobody has died. Is there one member here who knows a single person in Cambodia who has had coronavirus? No there is not.

I was in the waiting room at Calmette a month ago. Everybody was wearing a mask. I still caught a cold there which shows how futile the masks are.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

samrong01 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:52 pm What total nonsense. There is no coronavirus in Cambodia. Nobody is sick. Nobody has died. Is there one member here who knows a single person in Cambodia who has had coronavirus? No there is not.

I was in the waiting room at Calmette a month ago. Everybody was wearing a mask. I still caught a cold there which shows how futile the masks are.
How could you possibly know that you caught your cold while in the hospital?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

xandreu wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:02 pm
samrong01 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:52 pm What total nonsense. There is no coronavirus in Cambodia. Nobody is sick. Nobody has died. Is there one member here who knows a single person in Cambodia who has had coronavirus? No there is not.

Easy. I have been in isolation due to ill health. Its the only place I was in contact with people.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

samrong01 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:06 pm
xandreu wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:02 pm

Easy. I have been in isolation due to ill health. Its the only place I was in contact with people.
Whatever your personal situation, hospitals and clinics should be taking extra precautions against virus spreading, because these are the places where you are most likely to pick up any virus going around. Unless I am sick-dying I will avoid going to a doctor or a hospital - too many germs.
IMO Calmette is not a special case.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Just been to Calmette Hospital. The article is not true. Calmette does their best to separate patients and demand the wearing of muzzles as a condition of entry. All ridiculous in a country where there is no coronavirus but there it is. They are in a difficult situation as they are swamped with patients every day and do their best to comply with government requirements as well as provide service to everybody. I have always found their service to be excellent.

The only reprehensible thing they do is to deny entry to anyone with a fever. Consequently if you have Dengue Fever, Typhoid Fever, or any other of hundreds of diseases you are plumb out of luck.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

samrong01 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:23 pm Just been to Calmette Hospital. The article is not true. Calmette does their best to separate patients and demand the wearing of muzzles as a condition of entry. All ridiculous in a country where there is no coronavirus but there it is. They are in a difficult situation as they are swamped with patients every day and do their best to comply with government requirements as well as provide service to everybody. I have always found their service to be excellent.

The only reprehensible thing they do is to deny entry to anyone with a fever. Consequently if you have Dengue Fever, Typhoid Fever, or any other of hundreds of diseases you are plumb out of luck.
This issue of refusal was mentioned in the recent passing of a British school teacher. The ambulance called for a very sick man refused to take him because of his high temperature, and as you say, there are many causes of this and it is a symptom which invites further medical investigation.

Sunrise, a Japanese owned hospital, was the hospital ambulance that refused to take him but Calmette was also mentioned that were happy to accept him with a mild fever, although that came too late.

It is a very serious state of affairs when hospitals and issuing blanket bans of receiving patients with a raised temperature.

newsworthy/british-teacher-gary-moss-pa ... ary%20moss
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

I don't even know where to begin. This post is total nonsensical gibberish. Natural selection will come for you no matter how hard you fight it.
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

samrong01 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:23 pm Just been to Calmette Hospital. The article is not true. Calmette does their best to separate patients and demand the wearing of muzzles as a condition of entry. All ridiculous in a country where there is no coronavirus but there it is. They are in a difficult situation as they are swamped with patients every day and do their best to comply with government requirements as well as provide service to everybody. I have always found their service to be excellent.

It's not that you can't get medical care or go to the hospital if you have a fever. If you have a fever they only want you at certain hospitals around town. This way, if you do have Covid, you don't spread it around as much. I know this because I had Typhoid with a fever and still had no problem receiving care.
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic