Sihanoukville as it is now

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Sihanoukville as it is now

Post by phuketrichard »

all i can say is wow, the city has changed

Been 4 years since i was last there.... wont be heading back anytime soon
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Sihanoukville as it is now

Post by nemo »

All those half built building sites are deserted.
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

Most of those buildings will never be finished, what a disaster area.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Just those two words from the two posters above sum what I have just seen on the video, "deserted disaster". Does it look any better when the sun is shining chaps? I didn't see any signage in English, so I would think all the time it would or was going to be a Chinese venue anyway.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I was there a few weeks ago for the first time in ages - it's a shambles. The new streets are good and they are getting those wide pavements installed fast. There's a big muddy gap everywhere though and even when the streets and sidewalks are all fixed why would anyone want to use them? Most of the buildings are incomplete shells, or finished and abandoned. Even if everything was miraculously finished it would be horrible, and that's not going to happen anytime soon. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I suppose if it ever does get finished, it would be easier than flying to Hong Kong
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

Dunderhead wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:13 pm Most of those buildings will never be finished, what a disaster area.
they'll make a great location for some rave parties in a few years... till the vibrations of the sound system causers them to collapse
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

crob wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:17 am
Dunderhead wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:13 pm Most of those buildings will never be finished, what a disaster area.
they'll make a great location for some rave parties in a few years... till the vibrations of the sound system causers them to collapse
Have you seen how closely together some are built too.....

Always "hope" but never "expect".
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Probably one of the biggest man-made disasters I'll ever witness in my lifetime.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I didn't recognize anything until the golden lions came into view.
Nice to see the PM's beach house is still there though.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic