Caller I.D.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Route66
BANNED
Great Britain

Caller I.D.

Post by Route66 »

I use metphone. When I call back to the states regardless of my settings (android) the person I'm calling can see the word
" Cambodia" on their end. Is there anyway to be hide that ?
I don't mind them seeing my name , but the location is a bit sketchy to some people.
Yeah I know..ridiculous .but people , especially those who've never travelled out of their own state much less their own country , think all kinds of strange and sinister things about expats visiting/living here.
(Sometimes I sense their reaction is similar one feels on receiving an email from the "prince of Nigeria" asking for a donation..lol..)...
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Caller I.D.

Post by atst »

My sister went off at me for coming here, her language was eye watering accusing me of doing all sorts of things, small mind's some people have,
I was shocked that she even thought that of her own brother. Completely destroyed any respect I have for her, to think that of me.
As for caller ID there must be a way to cancel it
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Route66
BANNED
Great Britain

Post by Route66 »

atst wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:11 pm My sister went off at me for coming here, her language was eye watering accusing me of doing all sorts of things, small mind's some people have,
I was shocked that she even thought that of her own brother. Completely destroyed any respect I have for her, to think that of me.
As for caller ID there must be a way to cancel it
Sorry to hear that about your sister. Try not to take it to heart.
But yeah I definitely get it . I lived in Colombia for six years alot of people back home thought I was a drug dealer...lol..
Funny thing is in all that time I never saw or came into contact with any drugs, much less coke.

Some countries just have a stigma that doesn't fade.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Yet that was 5 years ago still shocked my sister had that language and thoughts about me, with the only reason for it, was I traveling S.E.A alone. Hey I was retired my mate's were still working was I supposed to stay home watching TV or go on packaged tours and pay double ( single supplement).
:Yahoo!:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Route66 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:21 pm I use metphone. When I call back to the states regardless of my settings (android) the person I'm calling can see the word
" Cambodia" on their end. Is there anyway to be hide that ?
I don't mind them seeing my name , but the location is a bit sketchy to some people.
Yeah I know..ridiculous .but people , especially those who've never travelled out of their own state much less their own country , think all kinds of strange and sinister things about expats visiting/living here.
(Sometimes I sense their reaction is similar one feels on receiving an email from the "prince of Nigeria" asking for a donation..lol..)...
if ur calling someone you know, dont they already know ur in Cambodia?

if your so worried about someone knowing where you are, use skype
add some $$ to ur account and no one will know where you are and you can call anywhere

When my daughter tells her friends she was born/raised in Thailand, she told me all her friends assumed i was a dealer
which is quite funny, as the day she was born i gave up my evil ways LOL

well most of them :beer3:
Last edited by phuketrichard on Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

Then you have to call with a hidden number.

Its their phone that show what country the country code you call from belong to, not yours.

I dont know about metphone. You can try activate it in your settings and see if its suported that way. Else Google or Contact metphone.

Cant you use Skype or similiar service? Then you wont appear with a Cambodian number.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Albror wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:24 pm Then you have to call with a hidden number.

Its their phone that show what country the country code you call from belong to, not yours.

I dont know about metphone. You can try activate it in your settings and see if its suported that way. Else Google or Contact metphone.

Cant you use Skype or similiar service? Then you wont appear with a Cambodian number.
^this

Any Cambodian SIM-card will transfer code 00855 with the phone number, which is the country code for Cambodia. How that code is processed, and shown on the screen (or not) of the r3eceiver's phone is in the phone settings of the receiver.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic