Road trips around the world (long & short)

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Road trips around the world (long & short)

Post by Spigzy »

@clutchcargo got me thinking on another thread about deathtraps in Cambodia on the roads, and it reminded me of a question I'd like to ask the wide variety of folks here ...

Can you name your favourite drives/rides (please qualify which..) are your favourite, or would recommend to another driver/rider for sheer driving/riding pleasure, views, experience, etc?

I first thought about it watching one of the Grand Tour episodes where Richard Hammond suggests they don't take one of the main roads through Scotland, but instead a back road that used to be the main road - it was stunning, and basically desolate with amazing scenery- my idea of a perfect ride/drive.

I have not done this trip that takes in all of the major USA monuments, but it is on my menu - and I can't decide yet whether to do it on a cruiser, or just some cadillac with the top down - or switch cars in each state ranging from motorhome to lambo! All I know it, I'm gonna do it ..

So, we have Aussies, Septics, Nigerians, heck, even the French here - so name your favourite routes where you can have a good 1h+ ride/drive, or maybe even a full on road trip.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Re: Road trips around the world (long & short)

Post by Bongmab69 »

I am planning since 2019 to do the roadtip from belgium to Phnom Penh, originally start planned in august 21 (in 2 months) to arrive near Newyear in Phnom Penh !! And have a drink at Harrys while my car parked in front of it !! I will do that, for sure, the question is when, but i keep the faitht will be possible soon !! Going by the balkans-turkey-iran-pakistan-india-myanmar-thai !! And coming back by Lao-China-Kazachstan-Russia-LT-PL-D.
Du to the problems in Myanmar i could maybe do it in the oppsite direction !! Who offers me a big beer if parked in front of Harrys ??
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

Spigzy wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:57 pm @clutchcargo got me thinking on another thread about deathtraps in Cambodia on the roads, and it reminded me of a question I'd like to ask the wide variety of folks here ...

Can you name your favourite drives/rides (please qualify which..) are your favourite, or would recommend to another driver/rider for sheer driving/riding pleasure, views, experience, etc?

I first thought about it watching one of the Grand Tour episodes where Richard Hammond suggests they don't take one of the main roads through Scotland, but instead a back road that used to be the main road - it was stunning, and basically desolate with amazing scenery- my idea of a perfect ride/drive.

I have not done this trip that takes in all of the major USA monuments, but it is on my menu - and I can't decide yet whether to do it on a cruiser, or just some cadillac with the top down - or switch cars in each state ranging from motorhome to lambo! All I know it, I'm gonna do it ..

So, we have Aussies, Septics, Nigerians, heck, even the French here - so name your favourite routes where you can have a good 1h+ ride/drive, or maybe even a full on road trip.
I did a cross country trip for 25 days that covered most of the 50 states, covered the lower 48 in my life. One note, ill give a thumbs up to the USA highway system for being much faster than that of other countries, then again the USA is big so it takes awhile to get from A to B. One could easily cover 500 miles or 550 miles in a day if one doesnt mind driving days. Your map seems about right to get a good cross section of the USA but it really depends on your interests.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Crossing Australia's Nullabor Plain is well worth a couple of days of your time, even if it's just to say you've done it.

A nice drive in Oz would probably be the Great Ocean Road along Victoria's coast from Geelong to the South Australian border.

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

road trips? dam to many to mention and cant say one is better than another, each had its ups and downs

Been doing road trips since i was 16 from dc to sf, shortest was 44 hours one way, longest was 4 months on the road
Once dc up to Canada and all the way across to Vancouver-sf-back to dc thru the south
Many many times from dc to Key west and back

Thru Europe by camper van; Amsterdam- Belgium-France-Spain- Morocco- Spain- France -Italy ferry to Greece and than back to Amsterdam 1972

Bicycle tour that included; Thailand, India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, ( an incredible country on a bicycle) Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Australia and Tahiti lasting 18 months before i returned back to the states 1982/83

did 3 road trips from Phuket up thru Northern Thailand into Laos -Cambodia and back to phuket. There on my photo site
and a few trips just phuket-Kep

Have done 2 motorcycle trips thru Burma ( also on my website)

I love road trips
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:49 pm road trips? dam to many to mention and cant say one is better than another, each had its ups and downs

Been doing road trips since i was 16 from dc to sf, shortest was 44 hours one way, longest was 4 months on the road
Once dc up to Canada and all the way across to Vancouver-sf-back to dc thru the south

Thru Europe by camper van; Amsterdam- Belgium-France-Spain- Morocco- Spain- France -Italy ferry to Greece and than back to Amsterdam 1972

Bicycle tour that included; Thailand, India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, ( an incredible country on a bicycle) Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Australia and Tahiti lasting 18 months before i returned back to the states 1982/83

did 3 road trips from Phuket up thru Northern Thailand into Laos -Cambodia and back to phuket. There on my photo site

I love road trips
Yes, but which was the most memorable? Which would you say to another "you have to do that road at least once in your life"?

Bicycle or EV trips don't count - this one is for the petrolheads who'd prefer the hum of a V8 to turning on the radio.. for hours :hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Spigzy wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:57 pm So, we have Aussies, Septics, Nigerians, heck, even the French here - so name your favourite routes where you can have a good 1h+ ride/drive, or maybe even a full on road trip.
Septic?........ah, that must be septic-tank / Yank.......some more of that brilliantly hilarious Brit humor.

I love being called a septic tank and then asked for input on a thread. :thumb:

What should we call your kind Spigzy? Pantywaist tosser doesn't translate into cockney rhyming slang.

Anyway, the Pacific Coast Highway / State route 1, is/was a stunning and highly recommended road trip up the entire West coast of California.

ImageImage
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:49 pm road trips? dam to many to mention and cant say one is better than another, each had its ups and downs

I love road trips
You missed out the overland hippy trail trip you took Europe to India You have said that you done that trip several times ?
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

Brody wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:47 pm
Spigzy wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:57 pm So, we have Aussies, Septics, Nigerians, heck, even the French here - so name your favourite routes where you can have a good 1h+ ride/drive, or maybe even a full on road trip.
Septic?........ah, that must be septic-tank / Yank.......some more of that brilliantly hilarious Brit humor.

I love being called a septic tank and then asked for input on a thread. :thumb:

What should we call your kind Spigzy? Pantywaist tosser doesn't translate into cockney rhyming slang.
It's kinda funny because for the amount you post 'Triggered Gifs' at other people, you are literally the queen of getting triggered around here whenever anyone mentions the slightest thing about the USA that rustles your jimmies. The ironing is fucking delicious Image

ImageImage

:stir:
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:59 pm

I love road trips
You missed out the overland hippy trail trip you took Europe to India You have said that you done that trip several times ?
did it once with various means and once with the magic bus as the "onboard guide" :beer3:

Hwy 1 in Ca, and 101 Ca, Oregon & Washington is a trip not to be missed with ur own vehicle
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic