School Reopening

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

School Reopening

Post by samrong01 »

I have just been fairly reliably informed that the government has announced that schools will reopen from the beginning of August. Has anyone seen confirmation of this? If so you may like to post it here. It seems that the schools will remain open during the normal school holiday period although this is not entirely clear. Most but not all public schools are to open.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Re: School Reopening

Post by jah steu »

I’d heard that some private schools were opening but no government schools yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

From: newsworthy/private-schools-request-perm ... 39112.html

Re: Private Schools Request Permission to Reopen

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:31 am
Permission granted ! Private schools will begin reopening next month.

July 4, 2020
Cambodian schools to re-open in stages from August
August will finally see the reopening of schools which has been shuttered for months now.

The Education Ministry said that it is in the process of re-opening schools, after more than three month of shutdown as part of the effort to combat COVID-19.

Other Education officers meanwhile told Khmer Times on conditions of confidentiality that about 15 ‘high-quality’ private international schools, including Japanese, English, American and French institutes, with approximately 20,000 students will be allowed to reopen first as a test case.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50741403/c ... om-august/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Countless countries have experienced re-opening schools but Cambodia needs its’ own pilot. Silly.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:43 pm Countless countries have experienced re-opening schools but Cambodia needs its’ own pilot. Silly.
The ministers are quaking in their boots at the thought of tarnishing HE's 'deft' handling of the covid crisis thus far.

I can't believe they are bragging about how they've handled it........I'm sure Laos has low numbers too..........

..........because................ not that many people transit through Cambodia or Laos for that matter. And they are both countries with low population densities, comparably.

But hey, well done!
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Laos: 19 cases. 19 recoveries. 0 death. Last 3 cases on April 13th. Yup...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:43 pm Countless countries have experienced re-opening schools but Cambodia needs its’ own pilot. Silly.
It seems that they are just being careful, which is to be commended. However opening so called International Schools in August seems dumb as that is the main holiday month internationally. Personally I can't wait for the schools to open up again, the online learning didn't work for my kid and I'd like him to be back out enjoying the facilities, meeting other kids and maybe even studying. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:07 pm
However opening so called International Schools in August seems dumb as that is the main holiday month internationally.
Thats probably part of the reason for opening then. Plenty of private schools are closed then, mainly the high ended ones. Let the dribs and drabs reopen, see how they do then, come october and the second wave close them again with a we told you so. No brainer for the government. Makes them look competent.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Covid-19 will remain a threat to everyone on the planet until either one of two things happen and they both involve immunity - either by natural means (unlikely) or artificial (a long way off even if it does happen)

So I don't really see the difference between opening schools up now or waiting a few more months. The threat level will still be there and will have just as much chance of spiking as it does now. The only reason I can see for delaying opening is to ensure that all schools have time to make the necessary adjustments to accommodate their students returning. Quite how much that will be enforced, either on a government level or more local level is yet to be seen.

There is still the danger of a spike in infections in Cambodia, but I don't think anyone can realistically say that opening up schools makes any dramatic difference to increase that risk. The most likely cause of an outbreak, if it did happen, would be from someone who had managed to evade being detected when entering the country. In that case, they're much more likely to spread it around shops, restaurants and markets etc. and by the time it has spread to schools, I'd say it would already be too late to try and contain it.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Schools have been back open with new restrictions here in the UK for a little over a month. So far, no dramas. And trust me, the kids have no concept of social distancing amongst themselves. We only have a couple of weeks left and then a nice long holiday (as if we need one of those right now!!).

The real acid test for the schools will be September.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic