ACE - Australian Centre for Education

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
dgbritt94
Tourist
Cayman Islands

ACE - Australian Centre for Education

Post by dgbritt94 »

Hi everybody,

Does anybody have any experience with ACE in Phnom Penh? My wife is thinking about taking a course there - but I need some reviews
relating to teaching quality. Is it mainly backpackers or actual teachers? Thanks
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: ACE - Australian Centre for Education

Post by Electric Earth »

ACE requires a four year degree along with a quality tefl of some sort that includes in class training(generally CELTA). They won't hire someone from a western country just because English is their native language. In my experience with the one in Siem Reap, it's a good school.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Good reputation. Supposedly the cream of the crop below the very expensive schools like ISPP or Northbridge. But teachers were hit or miss in terms of quality. Missus goes there.

Right now classes are all on-line. I think the top teachers are doing the classes now. Her teacher (at least in Phnom Penh) is making learning English an almost full time student job to keep up.
Kohker
BANNED
Austria

Post by Kohker »

Sometimes the teacher's threaten to kill the students or so say's nkotb.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I got an email from ACE yesterday, which said

2,000 full scholarships for English classes for high school grade 12 students

The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport (MoEYS) and the Australian Centre for Education (ACE) launched a ‘Digital English Scholarships’ program to support the on-going learning of grade 12 students by distance in the face of the COVID-19 situation while they are preparing for 2020 graduation exams. For more information or to apply: 012 392 776 / 010 903 987 or https://acecambodia.org/scholarship

:hattip:
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

They appear to have a huge new place just being finished off near Ta Khmau
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:49 am Good reputation. Supposedly the cream of the crop below the very expensive schools like ISPP or Northbridge.
It's been pointed out to you before that ISPP and Northbridge are junior/middle/high schools with wide curriculums. They cannot be compared to a language center.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:49 am Good reputation. Supposedly the cream of the crop below the very expensive schools like ISPP or Northbridge.
They are actually quite reasonably priced and below average when compared to other international schools in Asia.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

newkidontheblock wrote:Good reputation. Supposedly the cream of the crop below the very expensive schools like ISPP or Northbridge. But teachers were hit or miss in terms of quality. Missus goes there.
ACE is purely an English language school. ISPP and Northridge are all day, full IB curriculum schools. You're comparing apples to oranges.

EDIT: I see others have mentioned the obvious already. A more apt comparison would be to places like Alliance Française, whcih is a French language school (and cultural center), and Meta Haus, which is a German language school (and cultural center).
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

For what it's worth, my fiancee went there a few years ago and completed Level 12, then did her IELTS. She liked it, but obviously she gelled better with some teachers more than others. I wasn't exactly watching her like a hawk as NKOTB does, so I can't really comment further than that.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic