Who to believe on getting into Cambodia and QT

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
d.rivers
Tourist
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 25, 2020 3:58 am
Reputation: 1

Who to believe on getting into Cambodia and QT

Post by d.rivers »

I'm hearing a lot of different things about entry to Cambodia ATM. The official line is you need insurance cover plus a test within 72 hours of the flight out, then you'll be tested again on arrival and quarantined for 14 days "at a government facility which may be extremely basic", regardless of the test result. On another site I read that you might just be turned back. Not sure what to believe...

Does anyone have any experience / can anyone point me to a reliable source of info on this? I would come out early July if possible, but that means booking things pretty soon. I'd obviously rather not have to do 14 days in a "government facility", but I guess I could hack it if I could then extend my visa and stay for 2-3 months. I would plan on heading up to Siem Reap if that makes any difference. Not sure whether you are quarantined at your final destination or in PP.
User avatar
newkidontheblock
Expatriate
Posts: 2546
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 3:51 am
Reputation: 833

Re: Who to believe on getting into Cambodia and QT

Post by newkidontheblock »

I’ve already informed missus of me probably missing the eventual embassy interview, and after she gets the visa (fingers crossed), I might have to send my parents to pick her up in Phnom Penh and bring her back.

They also carry Taiwanese passports making it a bit easier to get into Cambodia. Plus being retired, an extra 14 day quarantine ‘vacation’ won’t get them fired from their job (of being retired).

Or maybe not.

Headaches all around.
User avatar
Kammekor
Expatriate
Posts: 2968
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:50 pm
Reputation: 1111
Cambodia

Re: Who to believe on getting into Cambodia and QT

Post by Kammekor »

d.rivers wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:13 am The official line is you need a visa, insurance cover plus a test within 72 hours of the flight out, then you'll be tested again on arrival and quarantined for 14 days "at a government facility which may be extremely basic" or in home isolation, depending on the assessment made. On another site I read that you might just be turned back. Not sure what to believe...
I added some, this is the official line. You can be denied. I think that's why so few foreigners come in, airlines won't allow them because of the risk of being turned down.

Finding a flight in early July might be a tough task.

If you want to travel to Siem Reap I guess quarantine in government facility in Phnom Penh it is. They won't let you travel half across the country and then stay in a guesthouse.
User avatar
BklynBoy
Expatriate
Posts: 761
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:11 am
Reputation: 292
United States of America

Re: Who to believe on getting into Cambodia and QT

Post by BklynBoy »

Kammekor wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:53 am
d.rivers wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:13 am The official line is you need a visa, insurance cover plus a test within 72 hours of the flight out, then you'll be tested again on arrival and quarantined for 14 days "at a government facility which may be extremely basic" or in home isolation, depending on the assessment made. On another site I read that you might just be turned back. Not sure what to believe...
I added some, this is the official line. You can be denied. I think that's why so few foreigners come in, airlines won't allow them because of the risk of being turned down.

Finding a flight in early July might be a tough task.

If you want to travel to Siem Reap I guess quarantine in government facility in Phnom Penh it is. They won't let you travel half across the country and then stay in a guesthouse.
There are flights now you can purchase for July and august. The only thing stopping someone now is the visa. in theory, you can get the medical covid test and health insurance.. both doable
whats not doable is the visa at the moment. at least for USA .. repeating myself but when speaking w Cambodian embassy in D.C. they said to reach out again in 1 or 2 weeks
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
User avatar
fazur
Expatriate
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:03 am
Reputation: 358
Norway

Re: Who to believe on getting into Cambodia and QT

Post by fazur »

BklynBoy wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:59 amThere are flights now you can purchase for July and august. The only thing stopping someone now is the visa. in theory, you can get the medical covid test and health insurance.. both doable
whats not doable is the visa at the moment. at least for USA .. repeating myself but when speaking w Cambodian embassy in D.C. they said to reach out again in 1 or 2 weeks
what is the validity period for the test?

do the test now,wont be valid in august surely?
User avatar
BklynBoy
Expatriate
Posts: 761
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:11 am
Reputation: 292
United States of America

Re: Who to believe on getting into Cambodia and QT

Post by BklynBoy »

I spoke w/ my primary doctor and he said they have rapid tests. ... sorry if wasn't clear. I asked doctor for test info and will take test aug 1st or 2nd because my flight is aug 4th...

but regarding the validity..i mentioned previously..how will immigration know ..if u photoshop dates ?? There is no affiliation between cambodia and USA to confirm that the medical certificate ur giving is correct.. in theory if you did take test already... and cannot for whatever reason take again.. change the dates... just like people do for tefl certificates.. are they gonna call every doctor office .. plus the 11 hour time difference for NYC..
no central database that would have all this medical info

anyway the test coming into cambodia is moot... they testing you again once landing... .. so unsure the exact reason .esp if testing u again when landing but it is what it is
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
User avatar
Kammekor
Expatriate
Posts: 2968
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:50 pm
Reputation: 1111
Cambodia

Re: Who to believe on getting into Cambodia and QT

Post by Kammekor »

BklynBoy wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:59 am
Kammekor wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:53 am
d.rivers wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:13 am The official line is you need a visa, insurance cover plus a test within 72 hours of the flight out, then you'll be tested again on arrival and quarantined for 14 days "at a government facility which may be extremely basic" or in home isolation, depending on the assessment made. On another site I read that you might just be turned back. Not sure what to believe...
I added some, this is the official line. You can be denied. I think that's why so few foreigners come in, airlines won't allow them because of the risk of being turned down.

Finding a flight in early July might be a tough task.

If you want to travel to Siem Reap I guess quarantine in government facility in Phnom Penh it is. They won't let you travel half across the country and then stay in a guesthouse.
There are flights now you can purchase for July and august. The only thing stopping someone now is the visa. in theory, you can get the medical covid test and health insurance.. both doable
whats not doable is the visa at the moment. at least for USA .. repeating myself but when speaking w Cambodian embassy in D.C. they said to reach out again in 1 or 2 weeks
Oh yes, thousands of flights for sale. Maybe the flights will actually leave. My flight from Phnom Penh to Bangkok (12-15 July, Emirates) has been cancelled a few days ago, so I suggest you don't set your hopes too high for flights in July actually leaving.
User avatar
Kammekor
Expatriate
Posts: 2968
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:50 pm
Reputation: 1111
Cambodia

Re: Who to believe on getting into Cambodia and QT

Post by Kammekor »

fazur wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:26 am
BklynBoy wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:59 amThere are flights now you can purchase for July and august. The only thing stopping someone now is the visa. in theory, you can get the medical covid test and health insurance.. both doable
whats not doable is the visa at the moment. at least for USA .. repeating myself but when speaking w Cambodian embassy in D.C. they said to reach out again in 1 or 2 weeks
what is the validity period for the test?

do the test now,wont be valid in august surely?
72 hours before departure.
User avatar
Kammekor
Expatriate
Posts: 2968
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:50 pm
Reputation: 1111
Cambodia

Re: Who to believe on getting into Cambodia and QT

Post by Kammekor »

BklynBoy wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:42 am I spoke w/ my primary doctor and he said they have rapid tests. ... sorry if wasn't clear. I asked doctor for test info and will take test aug 1st or 2nd because my flight is aug 4th...

but regarding the validity..i mentioned previously..how will immigration know ..if u photoshop dates ?? There is no affiliation between cambodia and USA to confirm that the medical certificate ur giving is correct.. in theory if you did take test already... and cannot for whatever reason take again.. change the dates... just like people do for tefl certificates.. are they gonna call every doctor office .. plus the 11 hour time difference for NYC..
no central database that would have all this medical info

anyway the test coming into cambodia is moot... they testing you again once landing... .. so unsure the exact reason .esp if testing u again when landing but it is what it is
If they don't trust you or your certificate they will simply deny entry. The current rules don't give you the right to enter even if you check all the boxes. Upon arrival they have the right to reconsider and deny you.
User avatar
Bernie Bro
Expatriate
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 5:32 am
Reputation: 32
United States of America

Re: Who to believe on getting into Cambodia and QT

Post by Bernie Bro »

Is there really a scarcity of scheduled flights from the U.S. heading into Phnom Penh? When I Google one way flights into Phnom Penh it seems that they're available every day from any given date in June. Is that just what Google wants to show me? What am I missing here?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AM34, Deefer, Gilmore, Google [Bot], itsmebossho, jaynewcastle, Sambodia and 371 guests