Phnom Penh's tallest buildings.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Phnom Penh's tallest buildings.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Click on image for larger view.

List under construction or proposed & approved buildings in Phnom Penh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... n_Cambodia
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Re: Phnom Penh's tallest buildings.

Post by fazur »

cue: fire in high rise and no suitable fire trucks, pressure too low, narrow streets

very bad news
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Having seen Phnom Penh's finest trying to handle a couple of fires near my place in normal houses, I think you could be right,
Are there any plans to enhance the sewerage systems of Phnom Penh to handle all the extra stuff that's going to hit from these places?
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Post by fazur »

water supply, electricity, fire-fighting resources

all an afterthought
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Bluenose wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:49 am Having seen Phnom Penh's finest trying to handle a couple of fires near my place in normal houses, I think you could be right,
Are there any plans to enhance the sewerage systems of Phnom Penh to handle all the extra stuff that's going to hit from these places?

They have been removing sand from the Mekong for many years to enhance the flow of sewerage . What more do you want done.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I'm surprised none of the big ones haven't collapsed yet.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Doc67 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:29 pm I'm surprised none of the big ones haven't collapsed yet.
Those will be the ones built on the old Boeung Kak Lake during a minor earthquake tremor - echoes of Mexico City .. :facepalm:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Spigzy wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 4:18 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 2:29 pm I'm surprised none of the big ones haven't collapsed yet.
Those will be the ones built on the old Boeung Kak Lake during a minor earthquake tremor - echoes of Mexico City .. :facepalm:
Many other cities are unknowingly built on the skin of a rice pudding where the surface is strong but nothing but sludge down below. Kiwi's will remember what happened in Christchurch just recently.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Don't panic, everything is in wise hands

“Although we have never experienced any earthquake, we try to draft our laws so that high-rise building owners will have to be concerned about avoiding various natural disasters,” he said.

“I ask for all the high building developers to start thinking about this problem because of climate change,” Nhim said.
The Ministry of Water Resources and Meteorology issued a statement Wednesday saying that Cambodia does not have natural disasters such as earthquakes or tsunami.
The statement came out after there are reports about an earthquake in Phnom Penh and Kampong Cham province.

People in buildings around Phnom Penh and in Kampong Cham province claimed they had experienced what they believed to be a mild earthquake.

Sources close to the government today predicted earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanoes would spontaneously erupt all over Cambodia if Rainman ever stepped foot in the kingdom again.

(not a quote but i do remember something like this being reported a few years ago)
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

As long as they do not put the same stuff on the outside of the buildings as they did on the grenfell tower, they should be ok.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic