I don’t like to teach. I’m only here for the money.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

I don’t like to teach. I’m only here for the money.

Post by newkidontheblock »

Finally missus got to the ACE level that she gets a native English speaker. First class was last week. A bit of tell us about yourself session.

The teacher starts off by telling the class that he doesn’t like teaching English. He is only doing it part time to get paid. His real job is some on-line company, and has a few people working for him. He then asked students to submit one question for him to answer. Most of his answers were - personal question, I don’t answer personal questions.

Primary teaching method was sitting down and having students watch YouTube? videos. Quite a few students were nodding off during this high level instruction.

I thought getting a native speaker is the pinnacle of ACE education. Maybe I was mistaken.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: I don’t like to teach. I’m only here for the money.

Post by IraHayes »

The amount you pay is not directly proportional to the quality of the product you receive.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:57 am The teacher starts off by telling the class that he doesn’t like teaching English. He is only doing it part time to get paid.
Someone is being honest. Most people dont admit it.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Doesn't ACE still require the CELTA? As an intensive month-long fairly expensive course, having one demonstrates some degree of commitment to the TEFL industry.

Also, the TEFL industry is just that, a profit driven field offering a product that is in high demand. I think ACE is a Aussie government institute though(?), so their case may be a bit different.

Most importantly, there is a "good old boys network" operating throughout the world, of course. As a result, hiring is often done on the basis of who you know and are mates/drinking buddies with rather than your qualifications.

There's also a lot of turnover, so this guy could be gone or replaced by next week. Anyway, you always can provide student feedback (complain).
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
boofhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by boofhead »

I agree with sigmoid. Report this leech to the school. Parasites such as the one you've described are a disgrace.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

When I decided to learn english in cambodia i came to CEO instead of going to school.
Somebody told me that there were good native english school teachers in Cambodia. But apparently they all run Youtube vids in class and reserve their fine literary offerings for the pages of CEO.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

If he has left his native country to live in Cambodia for the money, he has set his sites rather low.
boofhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by boofhead »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:39 am When I decided to learn english in cambodia i came to CEO instead of going to school.
Somebody told me that there were good native english school teachers in Cambodia. But apparently they all run Youtube vids in class and reserve their fine literary offerings for the pages of CEO.
If only the parasite in question would reserve his fine literary offerings for this forum. I would like to read his justification for such a pitifully lazy and cynical approach to teaching.
NanbanSan
Tourist
South Africa

Post by NanbanSan »

That's a really shitty attitude to have, and I'm sorry your missus has to deal with that. It frustrates me when teachers have that kind of attitude. If you wouldn't mind, could you PM me the campus and level she is in? I assume it's Level 8?

Sorry again for her experience :( people like that should not be teaching.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I've got a question for all the teachers here...how many of you actually, honestly, enjoy teaching? Maybe someone could make an anonymous poll? Personally, I would never ever want to be a teacher.

I'm sure the majority of people working as teachers in Cambodia aren't doing it because they're passionate about teaching, but more as a means to an end. But whether or not they enjoy it or not, it's extremely unprofessional to tell your students that you don't like teaching, students need to believe that their teacher loves what they are doing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic