Shirtless white guy found near the British embassy looks to be in rough shape

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
BaltimoreJack
Expatriate

Shirtless white guy found near the British embassy looks to be in rough shape

Post by BaltimoreJack »

ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: Shirtless white guy found near the British embassy looks to be in rough shape

Post by ItWasntMe »

What a way to end up.

Imagining more than a few bad decisions in this man's life led him to this point.
Looking like he hasn't known where his hotel is for a while now.

Wonder how he came here, and what was the brilliant plan?

Wish him the best.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Random Dude
Expatriate

Re: Shirtless white guy found near the British embassy looks to be in rough shape

Post by Random Dude »

ItWasntMe wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:10 am What a way to end up.

Imagining more than a few bad decisions in this man's life led him to this point.

Wish him the best.
There's a YouTube channel I follow, it's called Soft White Underbelly. The dude who has the channel interviews various down-and-out types - criminals, addicts, the homeless, those with mental issues etc.

When these people start telling their stories, something you come to see pretty quickly is a background of trauma, and/or addiction. Sometimes they're born into a shit situation, sometimes they just fall into it through getting involved with hard drugs or something. Often you get the impression it would be a miracle if they'd turned out to be anything other than what they are.

Sometimes though, it's just a combination of bad luck that leads to more bad luck, and it can be hard to come back from that.
Guy loses his job for whatever reason - can't pay the rent so ends up on the street - within a week he's filthy, he stinks, and he's probably never had to deal with something like that before so it hits him hard psychologically - he gets robbed - the cops 'move him on' every time he tries to rest somewhere and get some sleep - nobody will give him a chance or any help because there's a stigma about being homeless - it gets harder and harder to get a job and climb out of the hole because how can you go to a job interview straight from living on the street?

Don't know this guy's story, but I also wish him the best.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

ItWasntMe wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:10 am What a way to end up.

Wish him the best.
Karma, destiny, fate, like George Jung said; Life's a rodeo and all you have to do is stay in the saddle.
Boredom is like a shroud
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Been there … done that … #bestadvice … never give up … and … give yourself time … my Okinawa Ba Chan said … “Time solves all.”
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

There are no words I can use to describe my utter shame and hatred of the embassy of my own country.

I fully understand that it's not the embassy's job to nanny Brits who have chosen to live abroad in another country. If you live in Cambodia and have a medical emergency but have failed to cover yourself with medical insurance, well, that's down to you. You know what the health system is like in Cambodia and if you don't bother to take steps to protect yourself, you only have yourself to blame. If it was known that the embassy would always come to your aid if you have a health issue and you don't have health insurance, you're just encouraging people not to bother with travel / health insurance.

However, that being said, there are times where people living out here become senile and incapable of taking care of themselves for one reason or another, often just old age. Not only that but these people often don't have anyone who can help them either, and we end up in a situation where kind people have to post a photo of the person on social media to ask if anyone knows them. This photo is from Facebook and it seems that this is the case with this old man according to what I read.

He's clearly in a desperately poor state, his skin is peeling off, and he clearly needs help, yet the British embassy is doing what the British embassy always does best - shrug their shoulders and look the other way.

I can't think of any other embassy that would treat their own citizens in this way. As I said, I don't agree that the embassy should be there to nanny British people with each and every minor issue that they have, but there are exceptions and this is clearly one of them.

I will never ever forget nor forgive the time when Covid first began, flights were being grounded, and lock-down were beginning to be imposed all around the world. There were tens of thousands of Brits who were here on holiday and became stranded here. And the British embassy's response? To simply close its doors, refuse to answer phone calls, and reply to emails with generic, irrelevent copy-and-paste replies.

I realise that embassies are part of the civil service, and rarely change regardless of who is in government, but once the Tories become toast this year, I desperately hope the Labour Party get around to looking at how our embassies are behaving around the world.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

I'm fully in agreement with the assessment of the British Embassy, but has it been established that this guy is British? Sorry if I've missed something.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Some are closer to this type of life situation than they might understand.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Bluenose wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:12 pm I'm fully in agreement with the assessment of the British Embassy, but has it been established that this guy is British? Sorry if I've missed something.
Good point. I can't find the FB post now. I think I read in the post that he was British, but I may have just read 'found near the British embassy' and assumed he was British.

Doesn't take away the fact that British Embassy are a bunch of useless c***s tho.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
BaltimoreJack
Expatriate

Post by BaltimoreJack »

xandreu wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:26 pm
Bluenose wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:12 pm I'm fully in agreement with the assessment of the British Embassy, but has it been established that this guy is British? Sorry if I've missed something.
Good point. I can't find the FB post now. I think I read in the post that he was British, but I may have just read 'found near the British embassy' and assumed he was British.

Doesn't take away the fact that British Embassy are a bunch of useless c***s tho.
He is being discussed in a couple of FB threads. I definitely recall that he was telling people he is British. Here is one of the threads:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic