Authorities facilitate the transfer of ownership for 2nd hand vehicles

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Authorities facilitate the transfer of ownership for 2nd hand vehicles

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Came across this recently albeit 3 months old news. The content is a little confusing but I gather that people that previously bought a car or moto 2nd hand and maybe do not have all the details and documents of the previous owner can now have the ownership transferred more easily without needing the previous owner present in the process.

I was thinking this could be good for an expat that previously bought a moto 2nd hand and could not transfer the ownership/registration in their own name but with the original owner's card might now be able to easily transfer the ownership to say their khmer partner. That would avoid potential issue of recovering the moto in the event police were to confiscate it for a traffic infringement.

Authorities can help transfer second-hand vehicle ownership

The Ministry of Public Works and Transport has informed the public and vehicle owners who have bought used vehicles without the previous owner’s information to apply for ownership transfer documents from the authorities.

The process to transfer ownership without any acknowledgement from the previous owner was created on March 13.

It is designed to assist the public who own used vehicles but do not know the previous owners to obtain supporting documents and have the transfer of ownership completed.

These supporting documents include the ownership transfer form with the finger print of the person requesting the transfer, vehicle information, original vehicle identity card and number plates.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... HlPDP6xhMz
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Authorities facilitate the transfer of ownership for 2nd hand vehicles

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Following the above, there is a 30 June cut off to transfer ownership if you don't have the details of the original owner..

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50734329/m ... f46Gi5cVLM
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

For those that might want to take advantage of this amnesty period before 30 June and transfer ownership to a trusted local, I think this is the place you go to do it in PP.

Can someone confirm?

https://goo.gl/maps/SdsqgXjnYWH5FWnq7
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Is this for cars or motos? I thought the consensus for motos was, no one had any trouble as long as they have the vehicle's registration card.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

I have just bought a secondhand moto for a Cambodian friend living some 30 + km from Siem Reap and she is going through this process now. She has been told that it takes "half a month" for her to get the new/replacement registration card in her name. So clearly it applies country wide at the moment.

OML
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:58 pm Is this for cars or motos? I thought the consensus for motos was, no one had any trouble as long as they have the vehicle's registration card.
The link says 'vehicles' which I took to mean both. I only just came across it on a recent FB post and no one has mentioned having done it. I would think it's primarily directed at cars given the higher value of them, more important to have the registration in your (or trusted local) name and probably also for insurance.

I have read previously on the forum that most foreigners (and similarly locals I presume) don't bother transferring the registration in their name when buying a 2nd hand moto...they just get the original owner's registration card. Especially as the correct procedure to transfer registration seems to be to have both the original owner and the new owner attend at the MPWT office out past Sen Sok which is a hassle. Nevertheless, seems the authorities want people to do the right thing...hence, the 3 month period of grace until 30 June in the above posts for people to transfer ownership without the original owner present.

Whilst I see this more important obviously for cars, I do recall reading on a forum somewhere (sorry, can't recall which topic) where someone had their moto confiscated by the police over a traffic infringement and they wouldn't accept tea money to solve the issue. It's anecdotal only but I guess the risk is there albeit maybe remote. If that happens, the only way to get it back might be to have the person who is on the card to claim the moto. So I suppose that's the incentive to transfer ownership. Maybe it also helps further down the track when you want to sell.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:42 pm For those that might want to take advantage of this amnesty period before 30 June and transfer ownership to a trusted local, I think this is the place you go to do it in PP.

Can someone confirm?

Further to the above, I came across an earlier post here post215245.html#p215245 that says the MPWT is here:

https://goo.gl/maps/4FxreWxKVJS2

Which is a different location to the above across the river.

So I'm confused now as to the correct location..
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

clutchcargo wrote:
clutchcargo wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:42 pm For those that might want to take advantage of this amnesty period before 30 June and transfer ownership to a trusted local, I think this is the place you go to do it in PP.

Can someone confirm?

Further to the above, I came across an earlier post here post215245.html#p215245 that says the MPWT is here:

https://goo.gl/maps/4FxreWxKVJS2

Which is a different location to the above across the river.

So I'm confused now as to the correct location..
I think there's a couple. The location I use is the new one in the Sen Sok area....

Vehicle Inspection Center -
Oknha Mong Reththy St. (1928), Phnom Penh
012 248 123
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Wp7srsRFnT42qwab8

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:19 am
daeum_tnaot wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:58 pm Is this for cars or motos? I thought the consensus for motos was, no one had any trouble as long as they have the vehicle's registration card.
The link says 'vehicles' which I took to mean both. I only just came across it on a recent FB post and no one has mentioned having done it. I would think it's primarily directed at cars given the higher value of them, more important to have the registration in your (or trusted local) name and probably also for insurance.

I have read previously on the forum that most foreigners (and similarly locals I presume) don't bother transferring the registration in their name when buying a 2nd hand moto...they just get the original owner's registration card. Especially as the correct procedure to transfer registration seems to be to have both the original owner and the new owner attend at the MPWT office out past Sen Sok which is a hassle. Nevertheless, seems the authorities want people to do the right thing...hence, the 3 month period of grace until 30 June in the above posts for people to transfer ownership without the original owner present.

Whilst I see this more important obviously for cars, I do recall reading on a forum somewhere (sorry, can't recall which topic) where someone had their moto confiscated by the police over a traffic infringement and they wouldn't accept tea money to solve the issue. It's anecdotal only but I guess the risk is there albeit maybe remote. If that happens, the only way to get it back might be to have the person who is on the card to claim the moto. So I suppose that's the incentive to transfer ownership. Maybe it also helps further down the track when you want to sell.
I think you are referring to this post, which ironically you just commented on! :hattip: general-chatter/registering-moto-new-ru ... 60-20.html
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:40 pm I think you are referring to this post, which ironically you just commented on! :hattip: general-chatter/registering-moto-new-ru ... 60-20.html
Ah thanks that's the topic, buried in there is a post from GTC7 who had his moto confiscated.

post265578.html#p265578

I recall reading something about that originally and then posted recently on another issue.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic