Sundance on Street 172 Evacuated For Upstairs Fire

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Sundance on Street 172 Evacuated For Upstairs Fire

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Obviously nobody here on the forum was at Sundance Bar on St 172 on Thursday night, when clouds of smoke started to billow from upstairs ?
March 7, 2020
Fire causes evacuation at popular backpacker street

A mattress fire caused a mass evacuation on Thursday night at 172 Street, a popular backpacker street located in Phnom Penh’s BKK1 district.

The fire occurred whilst the popular bar and guesthouse, Sundance Inn and Saloon, was hosting its weekly jazz night. Staff had to evacuate all customers when a local tuk-tuk driver alerted the venue to the billowing smoke coming from the third floor of the guesthouse. Restaurants and guesthouses surrounding the fire were also evacuated as a precaution.

Khmer Times spoke with Harold Unland, owner of Sundance Inn and Salon who said, “It was a burning mattress on the very top floor of our guesthouse, luckily no one was hurt and the damage minimal, approximately $1,500 worth of new fittings and furnishings. We are still trying to figure out what started the blaze.”

The Phnom Penh Fire Department responded quickly with three fire trucks and a small number of police to assist in managing the evacuation and the large group of on lookers that gathered.
POST NEWS/KHMER TIMES
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Sundance on Street 172 Evacuated For Upstairs Fire

Post by Kammekor »

Guess one of the 'hotties' attended the mattress on the third floor....
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Lots of swirling smoke and small fire . Only people evacuated were from Sundance and they did this before trucks arrived. No other evacuations. Quite a clusterfuck with official first responder attendees in flip flops and street clothes. Second truck had a couple of trained operators with the proper gear on.
You only need one to hold the hose and another to support them but alas there were shitloads of people traipsing into the fire zone. Cops did F..all. People went where they wanted.
If a big one occurs in a high rise it will be nasty.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:37 pm Obviously nobody here on the forum was at Sundance Bar on St 172 on Thursday night, when clouds of smoke started to billow from upstairs ?
Sundance hosted a superb live music gig two days after the fire, so they are doing well.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

The problem is some guests piss out their windows onto the street and not in their rooms , which could have helped put the fire out.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

atst wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:13 pm The problem is some guests piss out their windows onto the street and not in their rooms , which could have helped put the fire out.
Are you saying:

1. the rooms at Sundance don't have toilets and the guests are too lazy to walk to the shared bathroom/toilet, or

2. upon the fire commencing upstairs, the management should have bolted the downstairs toilet doors shut and asked their bar patrons to mosey on upstairs and piss on the fire to put it out?

:facepalm:
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Not sure if the upstairs rooms have bathrooms but on walking past one night not long ago there was a guy taking a piss out the window, I yelled at him calling him a f en pig he finished what he was doing and closed the window
If my girl and I weren't so shocked at the time we should have taken a photo and posted it on here

The bit about putting out the fire was humer
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic