Response to Corona Virus

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Response to Corona Virus

Post by BrazilBoy »

My wife and kids returned from China on January 27th and today, I have about all the symptoms of this virus. I went to CDC TK and they were testing and interviewing me and making a vdo or something. I objected and fortunately there was an American doctor there that schooled the Cambodians on confidentiality.

The American doctor wanted to send me to some Russian hospital but I would have to foot the bill so I declined. The test will be back tomorrow so I decided to self-isolate for tonight; the Cambodians were ok with that because I said I didn't want to pay for the ambulance or the room, not until I get the results. The American doctor was concerned that I would spread the virus or, since I have asthma and I'm 59, deteriorate quickly. He was trying to workout protocols for this situation but there are none. His view was that I should be forced to go to hospital and I agreed - but on the understanding that I don't pay. The Cambodian health workers said that isn't happening and its up to me.

Anyway, as a general principle, I don't think I should have to pay for treatment of a virus that is posing a global threat. I think nations should foot the bill for quarantine and not pass it on to potentially infected. This is a global epidemic and here I am walking around, potentially infected, and the Cambodian view is up to you." I have to ask all those talking shit about China, which response is better? I doubt the Chinese are charging for Corona virus quarantine and basic treatment - like some oxygen. I think China's response, and the US for that matter, is the way to go. Enforce quarantine but foot the bill.

Anyway I'm a bit nervous but the virus, according to the American doctor, is quite mild. The factors causing concern is my age and my asthma.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Response to Corona Virus

Post by Kammekor »

Best of luck. Hope You’re Just suffering from a nearly non functional AC blowing dust causing a mild cold.
Last edited by Kammekor on Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I have had the flue for the last two weeks . Fever has gone, but still have a cough and sometimes a bit of phlegm . I often cough in front of some of those CEO members that gave me bad karma points years ago. Yea, I still remember who you are, but dont worry , if I die from this virus you are still invited to attend my funeral.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BrazilBoy »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:56 pm Best of luck. Hope You’re Just suffering from a nearly non functional AC blowing dust causing a mild cold.
That's exactly what I'm thinking - the in and out of rooms with AC literally all day long.
Its probably just that.
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BrazilBoy »

I called in sick for tomorrow, explaining that I have symptoms of the corona virus and that I'd just been tested at the CDC. So the deputy head of my school shows up at 10:30 pm with the manager of the apartment and wants me and my family to go to this Russian hospital. I asked, just like I asked the doctors at the CDC, who is going to pay for it. He didn't say the school will cover it of course; he said we are not talking about payment. Anyway, I said no, I'll wait on the results, which will be available in 10 hours, and take it from there. They weren't happy about this decision and they went outside for a good 15 minutes. They then came into my - let themselves in, like they owned the place - and they both had cameras out, filming me and saying again they wanted me to go to the Russian hospital and I assume at my expense. I just told them to get the fuck out. And they did, quietly like little pussies.

What a Micky fucking mouse country Cambodia is! Its mind-boggling how some on this site trash a real country like China but don't see the banana republic they are living in.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

BrazilBoy wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:42 pm I called in sick for tomorrow, explaining that I have symptoms of the corona virus
What a Micky fucking mouse country Cambodia is! Its mind-boggling how some on this site trash a real country like China but don't see the banana republic they are living in.
Yes, I'm quite aware of the kind of republic I'm living in here.

However, with the statement in bold above, I'm wondering who's the banana eating monkey in this republic...

You must have the brains of a worm to make a statement like that and expecting no follow-up.

BTW, have you made up your mind whether Cambodia is a Mickey Mouse-country or a banana republic?
BrazilBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BrazilBoy »

frizzie77 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:56 pm
BrazilBoy wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:42 pm I called in sick for tomorrow, explaining that I have symptoms of the corona virus
Yes, I'm quite aware of the kind of republic I'm living in here.

However, with the statement in bold above, I'm wondering who's the banana eating monkey in this republic...

You must have the brains of a worm to make a statement like that and expecting no follow-up.

BTW, have you made up your mind whether Cambodia is a Mickey Mouse-country or a banana republic?
I guess you missed the part about them barging into my apartment and filming me. Plus why would they know better than the doctors, one of whom was a real doctor being American. The doctor said to self isolate.

Also you completely ignore the whole point, which is payment. In a real country, like China or USA, quarantine is paid for out of public funds. Who pays for it here? Not me, that's for damn sure.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

BrazilBoy wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:46 pm Anyway I'm a bit nervous but the virus, according to the American doctor, is quite mild. The factors causing concern is my age and my asthma.
The whole encounter must be a concern for you and your family at this time. I agree with you about paying the bill too. I hope all goes well and in your favour, being that the result is negative, good luck.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I think the honourable thing to do would be to admit yourself into the hospital and pay for one whole night yourself rather than relying on the state, or in this case a failed state, to pay for you.

Petty, selfish and irresponsible are three words. What are yours?
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

I'd be inclined to check myself in and pay the fee for a 10 hour wait for the results. But that's just me.

Whilst your stand is noble in its purest sense. You are potentially harbouring a deadly virus. Let's be honest. Cambodia is not China nor the USofA. So drawing the comparison is largely unfair.

Land of bananas or monkeys or whatever kind of pales into insignificance. You're in (at best) a developing country. Do the right thing by your health and that of others around you.

As for your bosses barging in and filming you. That, I agree, was a pretty poor thing to do. And would probably have lit my fire too. But we are here to teach. Every situation has a potential learn in it for everyone.

Get well soon buddy!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic