transit through chinese airport

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

transit through chinese airport

Post by Bongmab69 »

Anyone has been flying to Phnom Penh and transiting in a chinese airport ??
Its hard to find good recent info about that online tbh.
Will be flying AMS-XIA-PNH in september !!
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: transit through chinese airport

Post by Bluenose »

So what info do you feel you need? What's the issue?
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Covid restriccions i am looking for, its China, you never know. On the IAA-travel-page its says you still need antigen rapid test. I thaught China skipped everything, but probably i am wrong. And those rapid test is not really an issue, but better been informed then mis the flight ofcourse !!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bongmab69 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:26 pm Covid restriccions i am looking for, its China, you never know. On the IAA-travel-page its says you still need antigen rapid test. I thaught China skipped everything, but probably i am wrong. And those rapid test is not really an issue, but better been informed then mis the flight ofcourse !!
This is why I don't transit in China next month. The info from the airline, airport and the authorities all are different, who am I to say who's right or wrong.

I guess asking passengers with recent experience with Xiamen (still waiting for my COVID refund from that airline BTW....) is the way to go.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Bongmab69 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:26 pm Covid restriccions i am looking for, its China, you never know. On the IAA-travel-page its says you still need antigen rapid test. I thaught China skipped everything, but probably i am wrong. And those rapid test is not really an issue, but better been informed then mis the flight ofcourse !!
Don't forget all the non-Covid rules. Depending on the length of your layover, you might want to look at going into the city and doing a tour! At Shanghai (pre-Covid) you could get 24 and 48 hour transit entry with no visa.
Entry or not, they may well do compulsory face recognition and link it to your passport.
Print off your itinerary btw.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I never flew with Xiamen-airlines, but its a nice connection, only 3h layover and was ridiculous cheap, 388 euro one-way. I flew pre-covid through Shanghai and could choose between 7 or 27h layover, did the 27h and went Into the city, you can get easily at the airport a transit-visa for up to 144h layover. Was nice to see Shanghai as i never wsa in China. In their website there is a lot of info but nothing about restriccions or rules if you are in transit, its still far away september.
AM34
Expatriate

Post by AM34 »

I don't know about transferring Xiamen specifically (it's possible to do without going through immigration in some cases at that airport), but to enter China just need to do a self-administer rapid test. You need to complete a health declaration online, but don't need to submit proof of the test and nobody will look at your test result. Airlines aren't supposed to ask, but some do request proof (can take a photo of the test strip). It's generally Western airlines that ask though, Chinese ones don't seem to care. China is very much over COVID, fewer masks seen than Cambodia.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I arrive in Xiamen with Xiamen airlines, and the flight to PP is also with them, and only 3h layover, it would surprise me i have to go through immihration. And what i learned from the IATA-website is about the same, do a quick test before flying, aircarriers dont have to ask. But nobody speaks about how to do if in transit, i will folow the same rules as entering China to be sure. Who knows i start speaking chinese on the plane and wake up in a SHV-condo the week after, hhmmm ?? !!
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Hallelujahh Xiamen airlines: I had my flight tonight from AMS-XIA-PNH normally. 5 days ago received an e-mail that the rapid-test was not necessary anymore, even better.
Last night around midnight: new mail: Due to bad weather conditions the visa-free-transit waver program is cancelled. What means, i have to ask for a transit visa just to change airplanes in Xiamen. More strangely, its only for a 2 days. What i can see on flightradar, the weather in Xiamen is not bad at all, but a lot of flights cancelled. The AMS flight is not cancelled at all. I get a free refund or date-change to wednesday or next week monday. Trying to change the dates now, a lot of mails and calls to do. Curious when my first Anchor will flow through my lipps !! ?? Wont be tomorrow for sure !!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic