FANTASTIC time to emigrate!!!!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

FANTASTIC time to emigrate!!!!

Post by HappyChappy »

Flipping heck!!!

3yrs of planning to come at one of the LESS ideal times to start a new life in a foreign country. FRANKLY, rent is cheap, as is food. So I can actually survive fairly cheaply for a few months and HOPE this will blow over soon???

My dreams of working as a "fun guy" in a hostel have been crushed, my plan B for being a teacher on hold until the schools stabilise....... And my tan....... Tbf I've got a decent tan so it's not all bad.

When will this end people??? 1 month, 3 months, longer????
happygilmore
Tourist
United States of America

Re: FANTASTIC time to emigrate!!!!

Post by happygilmore »

when we are all dead, and the whole world is infected.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Edited because the post was in quite bad taste.

j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

Don't listen to these quitters who ran home to mommy or a closet on loan.
If you have cash and a place to live..
chill...back up generator is a plus.
Stock up on food..water...an extra fridge/freezer helps.
cook your own food..
Buy a bottle of clorox..it is the cheapest and best way to sanitize your place...just follow the instructions..
it takes very little to make a gallon/4liters of product you can use to kill viruses and bacteria.
Darwin saw quitters throughout his travels.
If you are here...work on your tan and stock up.
I swam 90 minutes today... caught some rays..
Just my wife and me....no visitors...
I live in a small apartment building with 7 units.
ride it out and be part of the rebuilding efforts.
It is better than eating your granny and hiding from the gang bangers losing your tan.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

j57 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:40 pm Don't listen to these quitters who ran home to mommy or a closet on loan.
If you have cash and a place to live..
chill...back up generator is a plus.
Stock up on food..water...an extra fridge/freezer helps.
cook your own food..
Buy a bottle of clorox..it is the cheapest and best way to sanitize your place...just follow the instructions..
it takes very little to make a gallon/4liters of product you can use to kill viruses and bacteria.
Darwin saw quitters throughout his travels.
If you are here...work on your tan and stock up.
I swam 90 minutes today... caught some rays..
Just my wife and me....no visitors...
I live in a small apartment building with 7 units.
ride it out and be part of the rebuilding efforts.
It is better than eating your granny and hiding from the gang bangers losing your tan.
Of coarse it's everyone's personal decision to hang tight or leave. But having lived through a couple of catastrophic events in Asia myself, trust me, it can go to shit in a second and "mommy or a closet on loan" could be the last jibe you'll make.
Last edited by Kung-fu Hillbilly on Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

double post
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

HappyChappy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:05 pm Flipping heck!!!

3yrs of planning to come at one of the LESS ideal times to start a new life in a foreign country. FRANKLY, rent is cheap, as is food. So I can actually survive fairly cheaply for a few months and HOPE this will blow over soon???

My dreams of working as a "fun guy" in a hostel have been crushed, my plan B for being a teacher on hold until the schools stabilise....... And my tan....... Tbf I've got a decent tan so it's not all bad.

When will this end people??? 1 month, 3 months, longer????
I seem to remember you posting for advice some time ago and getting the benefit of some very sage advice, in summary have a plan b and c and so on.

You wanted an adventure right? Well, you got one! If you don't have a sense of humour you should not have come to Cambodia.

Look on the bright side, when this is all over and the seasoned old expats return, you will have bragging rights to say you were there and rode out the storm. You might not have any money, possessions, body fat or rectal virginity left, but you will have bragging rights.

Good luck!
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:09 pm. But having lived through a couple of catastrophic events in Asia myself, trust me, it can go to shit in a second and "mommy or a closet on loan" could be the last jibe you'll make.
Having been in Indonesia when the 2004 tsunami hitted, and having been on the spot when the 2006 earthquake hitted Kasongan, and when the Merapi erupted in 2010, i can tell you that you reeeeally hope for a safe exit door.
And when you live on an island, things tends to bottleneck right quick.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

So yeah, plan B, plan C.

I told you before.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Lots of out of work Khmer out there. Many local families have even fewer resources than the barang have to fall back on. As things get worse in the Kingdom of Wonder, a high number might turn to crime, especially in the cities where there is a greater degree of anonymity and social isolation.

Foreigners have always been perceived as richer (compared to locals) and less protected (compared to the Okhna) and make ideal targets.

Be careful out there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic