Cambodian Siblings Finally Reunited at 101, 96 and 92 Years of Age

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodian Siblings Finally Reunited at 101, 96 and 92 Years of Age

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A feelgood story with happy ending about a granny from the CCF(Cambodia Children's fund) program for the elderly, who was finally united with siblings lost during the war.

SISTERS REUNITED
21/02/2020
Cambodian Children’s Fund helps granny aged 98 meet her 101-year-old sister for the first time in 47 years

This is the emotional moment CCF brings together two sisters, aged 98 and 101, for the first time in 47 years after both believed the other had died during the Khmer Rouge regime.
There were tears of joy as the sisters held each other tight and the decades slipped away to the time they last saw each other.

That was 1973 – two years before the brutal Khmer Rouge would sweep into Cambodia and rule for four years. In the turmoil that followed, millions of people were killed.

The sisters thought both were among those who didn’t make it.

Now, 47 years later, the sisters have been brought back together. It was thanks to CCF staff, who tracked down Granny Bun Sen’s family and discovered that not only was her 101-year-old sister still alive but, incredibly, her brother, aged 92, was too.
Granny Bun Sen (centre) sitting between her brother, 92, and sister Bun Chea, 98, in Kampong Cham.

They were also still living in the same village.

As Granny Bun Sen embraced her sister, Granny Bun Chea, after travelling from her home in Steung Meanchey, Phnom Penh, to Kampong Cham, there was hardly a dry eye in the village.

The remarkable end to the story was one no-one expected.
Granny Bun Sen (left) and her 101-year-old sister Bun Chea.

“I left my village a long time ago and never went back. I always thought my sisters and brothers had died,” said Granny Bun Sen.

“To be able to hold my older sister means so much. And the first time my younger brother touched my hand, I started crying.”

Granny Bun Sen, who is supported by CCF in its Granny Program, never returned to her village after being displaced by the Khmer Rouge.

Both sisters survived the regime but believed the other had died.

Granny Bun Sen lost her husband to the Khmer Rouge and eventually settled in Steung Meanchey in the communities around the former garbage dump.

She was one of the first grannies to join CCF in 2004. At the time, she was still earning a living scavenging through trash on the streets of Phnom Penh.

She was caring for many children who had been left on the dump and introduced Scott Neeson, CCF Founder and Executive Director, to vulnerable children and families. This included the very first CCF student, Sreynich, who has now graduated from university.

She became Scott Neeson’s trusted ears and eyes on the ground of who needed help.

Granny Bun Sen always believed her siblings had died during the Khmer Rouge. She would often talk about her home village in Kampong Cham and her wish to return there one day. As she is unable to walk and uses a wheelchair, it was difficult for her to make the journey.

CCF’s Community Outreach Manager, Hoy Leanghoin, recently offered to arrange a visit and discovered that some of Granny Bun Sen’s family were in fact alive and still living in the same village.

Last week, CCF took Granny Bun Sen to Kampong Cham where she was reunited with her sister, Bun Chea, and brother, reconnecting with old family and meeting new ones that she didn’t know about.
https://www.cambodianchildrensfund.org/ ... -reunited/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cambodian Siblings Finally Reunited at 101, 96 and 92 Years of Age

Post by Yerg »

What a fabulous story!!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

That's so wonderful and also heart breaking that they didn't reunite so much sooner.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

It's great to be able to start the day with a good news story in Cambodia.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

Beautiful Made my day.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:20 am That's so wonderful and also heart breaking that they didn't reunite so much sooner.
It's a testament to the laziness of Khmers that she never went back to village to see if they were there.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Sweet Lemon wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:56 am
timmydownawell wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:20 am That's so wonderful and also heart breaking that they didn't reunite so much sooner.
It's a testament to the laziness of Khmers that she never went back to village to see if they were there.
:facepalm: She's not lazy, she's old and handicapped, and so poor that she was living as a scavenger when she was taken in by CCF.
As she is unable to walk and uses a wheelchair, it was difficult for her to make the journey.
Eventually, someone from the CCF took pity on her and tracked down her surviving relatives.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

.... wow

(speechless)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Please tell me that you are just trolling the forum, and not physically in the country trolling the locals, or us expats who have a genuine interest in being here
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Post by Sweet Lemon »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:27 am
Please tell me that you are just trolling the forum, and not physically in the country trolling the locals, or us expats who have a genuine interest in being here
It's shitty journalism to report this story and not ask her why she didn't go back to her village in the last 47 years to see if they were there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic