Censorship

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Censorship

Post by MarkArmstrong »

I have been thinking about some of the comments about digging up old threads, I have a problem with this as they are not old to me and saying that I shouldn't add anything because its old seems a little odd.

Have none of you ever spoken about an event thats past? The whole thing stinks slightly of cancel culture and wokeism where i must only post what you approve based on your sensibilities.

If thats the world you want to live in so be it but personally I don't want my life edited or censored based on someone elses unwanted opinion.

If I am being to sensitive let me know and I will go?
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Re: Censorship

Post by siliconlife »

MarkArmstrong wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:24 am I have been thinking about some of the comments about digging up old threads, I have a problem with this as they are not old to me and saying that I shouldn't add anything because its old seems a little odd.

Have none of you ever spoken about an event thats past? The whole thing stinks slightly of cancel culture and wokeism where i must only post what you approve based on your sensibilities.

If thats the world you want to live in so be it but personally I don't want my life edited or censored based on someone elses unwanted opinion.

That's just forum culture. I agree that there is nothing actually wrong with thread necromancy. It's more of a formatting issue. If you resurrect a thread, especially in the news sections, it appears like this is fresh news as your comment will bring it to the top, and you get a lot of crossed wires between the posters, as some will not bother to check the dates, and respond like something that happened 5 years ago happened today. It doesn't help that we get linked to them down the bottom, but that's just the way it works. Trawl the old threads all you want, but only comment on the new ones. Always check yer dates, and if you are going to resurrect, preface your comment with a little apology and explain why you wanted to bring up an old story.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

siliconlife wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:37 am
MarkArmstrong wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:24 am I have been thinking about some of the comments about digging up old threads, I have a problem with this as they are not old to me and saying that I shouldn't add anything because its old seems a little odd.

That's just forum culture. I agree that there is nothing actually wrong with thread necromancy. It's more of a formatting issue. If you resurrect a thread, especially in the news sections, it appears like this is fresh news as your comment will bring it to the top, and you get a lot of crossed wires between the posters, as some will not bother to check the dates, and respond like something that happened 5 years ago happened today. It doesn't help that we get linked to them down the bottom, but that's just the way it works. Trawl the old threads all you want, but only comment on the new ones. Always check yer dates, and if you are going to resurrect, preface your comment with a little apology and explain why you wanted to bring up an old story.

Isn't that more of a problem with the way phpBB operates rather than me? Do you apologise for every historical incident that you may pass comment on?

As I said and this is what I will stick to its censorship.
Gary Small
Expatriate

Post by Gary Small »

I've never understood why people get upset about others bringing up old topics.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

Gary Small wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:11 am I've never understood why people get upset about others bringing up old topics.

It's about control thats all.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

The suggestion of prefacing with a comment it’s an old thread when you comment is a good one (not apologising).
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

violet wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:27 am The suggestion of prefacing with a comment it’s an old thread when you comment is a good one (not apologising).
No need to however all of this netiquette is total BS and only a certain few people subscribe to it.

Live and let live don't try to impose any mantra you believe in on me.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

MarkArmstrong wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:34 am
violet wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:27 am The suggestion of prefacing with a comment it’s an old thread when you comment is a good one (not apologising).
No need to however all of this netiquette is total BS and only a certain few people subscribe to it.

Yeah, you’re probably rough as round the edges in real life too.
No etiquette, no social graces. Sneer at anyone who does. So fair enough that you are the same on here. As in life as on the forums - we are each rubbing shoulders with people of from all walks of life. We each have a right to be as we prefer to be.

People spoke. People responded. Now it will rattle on for five more pages - and no one will have censored you.

Have a good one.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Newinkow
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Newinkow »

I agree with what @siliconlife state about.

I thinking it would be better phased like this:

If you are replying to a related link at the bottom of the thread, please check the date of the post. If it's an old post, give the readers a heads up. Maybe start the reply off with "bumping old thread..." or something like that.

I don't think he meant that you should apologize. Just a heads up to the readers that this is not a current event. This would especially help readers who are planning to visit or move here. They are just surfing the web to get what ever information they can on current condition in KoW. They are not going to check dates and might get the wrong impression.

There is nothing wrong with bring up an old thread that's caught your interest. Just give the readers a heads up would be appreciated.
MarkArmstrong
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MarkArmstrong »

violet wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:49 am
MarkArmstrong wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:34 am

Yeah, you’re probably rough as round the edges in real life too.
No etiquette, no social graces. Sneer at anyone who does. So fair enough that you are the same on here. As in life as on the forums - we are each rubbing shoulders with people of from all walks of life. We each have a right to be as we prefer to be.

People spoke. People responded. Now it will rattle on for five more pages - and no one will have censored you.

Have a good one.
You got it "We each have a right to be as we prefer to be."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic