Angry Tourist Makes Threats to Cambodian Woman After She Declines His Invitation

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Angry Tourist Makes Threats to Cambodian Woman After She Declines His Invitation

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

We have updated this story, as the Cambodian woman has provided pretty clear screenshots showing that the man's post was not accurate at all, which also helps explain why he had these pictures of someone he claims to have only known on WeChat and who he just got a free ride to the airport from. It sounds more like he was upset that she decided no to travel with him, so he demanded money back that he had already spent, and threatened to 'make this a very big problem' for her unless she sent him money via Western Union.

We've removed his pictures of her from his post and will lock this topic, as it seems clear he is just trying to harass her into sending him money.

Here are some of the screenshots she sent us of their conversations:

ImageImageImage

'BEWARE SCAM: I was contacted by a woman on WeChat who advertised free transport to the airport. She said she would take me to the airport if I stopped at One Cambodian artisan shop on the way for five minutes. I didn’t need to buy anything she would be compensated and given a gasoline voucher. She came to my hotel Promptly at 12 PM. She was well-dressed and spoke excellent English. I went into the shop walked around for a few minutes. When I got into her small blue KIA I noticed my carry-on in the backseat had been moved. I questioned her and she said she was looking for a bottle of water. She said nothing on the way to the airport and was sweating and would not make eye contact. When we arrived to the airport I went to the back seat, opened my bag $500US was missing and well as my iPhone. I told her to return my possessions back or I would get the Siem Reap tourist police. I saw a police officer and ran to him and she drove off. The police would not do anything. I talked to the airport authority they took a written statement, her photographs, her plate number, name. I contacted my hotel and gave them all the information. So far 15 people have contacted me 3 who had been ripped off by the same woman and 12 who had been ripped off by this scam.'
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
TeachingForPeanuts
Expatriate

Re: Angry Tourist Makes Threats to Cambodian Woman After She Declines His Invitation

Post by TeachingForPeanuts »

What a fucking idiot.

I like how she doesn’t offer free rides just anywhere if you stop at the shop. Only if you’re going to the airport. When you’ll be carrying all your valuables and likely to leave luggage in the car and then be flying out of the country in two hours. These morons are the perfect marks.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Angry Tourist Makes Threats to Cambodian Woman After She Declines His Invitation

Post by cptrelentless »

So what's the appeal of WeChat to a Westerner? Doesn't Pooh Bear read all your messages?
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Meth. It’s the only way to fly
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Not too terrible. A lot of men come to Cambodia, find a woman, lose cash and an iPhone, and don't even get a free ride to the airport.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I wonder if he is on his way to PP?

If so, he better up his game a lot or he'll end up losing his shirt like this guy...

BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

I feel for you dude.
But, you should of had those items on your person and then put them in your carry on at the airport.
I must admit I pissed away a lot more money
than that on gals in Thailand and PP.
Yes, I gave them 'a ride' ...
And they did not even have to steal it..
So, did you catch a tuk tuk the rest of the way?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

BR549 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:14 pm I feel for you dude.
But, you should of had those items on your person and then put them in your carry on at the airport.
I must admit I pissed away a lot more money
than that on gals in Thailand and PP.
Yes, I gave them 'a ride' ...
And they did not even have to steal it..
So, did you catch a tuk tuk the rest of the way?
eh...
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:32 am When we arrived to the airport I went to the back seat, opened my bag $500US was missing and well as my iPhone. I told her to return my possessions back or I would get the Siem Reap tourist police. I saw a police officer and ran to him and she drove off.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Well, "everybody" knows that you don't carry valuables in your backpack. Cash and valuable should be on your person at all times.

A good safari/photography vest with multiple pockets including ones inside and some sort of money belt/pouch are handy when traveling.

Last edited by sigmoid on Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:41 am I wonder if he is on his way to PP?

If so, he better up his game a lot or he'll end up losing his shirt like this guy...

or this dude..

Locked Previous topicNext topic