Explaining stereo v. mono sound to Khmers.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Explaining stereo v. mono sound to Khmers.

Post by jah steu »

Today’s minor bar owner issue:
Our bar’s amplifier was playing up - it would only work in mono sound. Switch it to stereo and only one speaker produced sound, and obviously only one channel. It needs fixing but the bar manager just wants to leave it on mono sound and save the cost of fixing the amp.
It definitely sounds better in stereo to my ears but I found it hard to demonstrate and explain this to the manager. I guess as long as she heard a general wall of sound she was happy!
Any suggestions on how to explain the difference to her?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Re: Explaining stereo v. mono sound to Khmers.

Post by Captain Bonez »

Khmers dont really give a shit about sound quality as long as the reverb and bass is set to 11.

If you really want to try and explain tho, maybe try this video

If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Let them hear this on headphones

"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

MONO = Left sound and right sound are played at the same time via both speakers (MONO = ONE and RAIL = RAIL)

STEREO = LEFT sound is played on LEFT, RIGHT is played on RIGHT

Check if the amp can pan the audio from left to right in order to demonstrate an example of STEREO.

Your best bet would be to use headphones with a movie/video game as it'll be easier to recognize which direction the sound comes from with STEREO.

MONO = 1 sound source played to both ears

STEREO = 2 sound sources, 1 played to each ear
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

LSD, Dark side of the moon and some nice earphones, job done

charlie
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Did you ever solve this one @jah steu ? I had it bouncing around in my head for a while, was reminded of it by yr post on another thread . How about taking a popular Khmer food item, I was thinking of ban -cheaw ( thats the stuffed yellow pancake isn't it?) You get 2 of them, ask her to taste Ban-cheaw 1 and you ask her if its good. Then you take ban-cheaw 2 and stick it in your blender for a minute and ask her how it compares.
A few minutes of clean-up work for your dishwasher I guess, but might be a laugh and illustrate the stereo vs mono thing quite effectively.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Get one ear plug and make her insert it into her right ear for the entire evening. That should demonstrate the point.
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by monomial »

jah steu wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:15 am Today’s minor bar owner issue:
Our bar’s amplifier was playing up - it would only work in mono sound. Switch it to stereo and only one speaker produced sound, and obviously only one channel. It needs fixing but the bar manager just wants to leave it on mono sound and save the cost of fixing the amp.
It definitely sounds better in stereo to my ears but I found it hard to demonstrate and explain this to the manager. I guess as long as she heard a general wall of sound she was happy!
Any suggestions on how to explain the difference to her?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is an easy way. Hold a $100 bill up to her and say "I will pay to get this fixed."

My take is that this isn't about understanding the problem. This is about values and whether the bar manager perceives that it is worth spending good money for something perceived as trivial. Too often in life we take our values and assume they are facts, and then get confused that someone can't understand. Usually, they understand. They simply disagree.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

two ears
two speakers
ask if her ears are working properly

monstra mihi bona!
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

I think it would be even more difficult to explain peace and quiet to a Khmer person.
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic