British Expat in Siem Reap Lends $250 to Man From Zimbabwe to Pay for Overstay Fees, Surprisingly Gets Burnt

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

British Expat in Siem Reap Lends $250 to Man From Zimbabwe to Pay for Overstay Fees, Surprisingly Gets Burnt

Post by General Mackevili »

From the Cambodia Scammers Facebook Page:

"This is Trymoe Munhenga. He recently stayed with us for several months while he was volunteering with JWOC. 2 hours before he was due to fly home he realised that he had overstayed his visa by 25 days. My wife generously ( and foolishly with hindsight) lent him $250 so that he didn't miss his flight, which would have cost him much more than the visa overstay. Unsurprisingly, we haven't heard from him since! That amount of money is quite considerable for a small business such as ours, please be wary if he should return to Cambodia!"

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Re: British Expat in Siem Reap Lends $250 to Man From Zimbabwe to Pay for Overstay Fees, Surprisingly Gets Burnt

Post by Cruisemonkey »

What he's thinking in that picture is -
I should have my index finger folded down.
You could be next.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: British Expat in Siem Reap Lends $250 to Man From Zimbabwe to Pay for Overstay Fees, Surprisingly Gets Burnt

Cruisemonkey wrote:What he's thinking in that picture is -
I should have my index finger folded down.

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Ashcroftie
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by Ashcroftie »

I might be wrong but overstaying 25 days x $5 is, uhm, $125. He flew home and you never heard from him again? How surprising. Could have happened with any nationality, I think.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Pretty sure it is 10$ now, at least that's what I have been charged the last 3 times, actually last time it was 10 + 2$ "stamp fee", but maybe I'm a sucker...
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Ashcroftie wrote:Could have happened with any nationality, I think.
Absolutely not. Why would you feel compelled to say such a thing? Americans, Brits, Canadians, Australians, South Africans and probably even Kiwis would never scam people.

I was scammed by a Zimbabwean when I was 10 years old. Traded my Casio indigo watch for some fancy looking watch a dude had, but by the time I got within a few yards of Victoria Falls, the damn thing was fogged up and died. #TrueStory

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Brewer
Expatriate

Post by Brewer »

General Mackevili wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:36 pm
Ashcroftie wrote:Could have happened with any nationality, I think.
Absolutely not. Why would you feel compelled to say such a thing? Americans, Brits, Canadians, Australians, South Africans and probably even Kiwis would never scam people.

I was scammed by a Zimbabwean when I was 10 years old. Traded my Casio indigo watch for some fancy looking watch a dude had, but by the time I got within a few yards of Victoria Falls, the damn thing was fogged up and died. #TrueStory
When I was at Victoria Falls some Zimbabwean fucker tried to scam me by trying to get me to exchange a $100,000,000 worth precisely zero for a USD note worth what was printed on it. How can you trust people like that? :facepalm:
AndyD
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by AndyD »

To be fair, it was actually my wife that lent him the money, not me. Trymore actually contacted me yesterday and the matter has now been resolved satisfactorily. I have removed the other posts regarding this matter, and would be very grateful if you would delete this post as Trymore will be back volunteering with JWOC at some time in the near future. Many thanks, Andy.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

AndyD wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:10 am To be fair, it was actually my wife that lent him the money, not me. Trymore actually contacted me yesterday and the matter has now been resolved satisfactorily. I have removed the other posts regarding this matter, and would be very grateful if you would delete this post as Trymore will be back volunteering with JWOC at some time in the near future. Many thanks, Andy.
Was it or wasn't it a scam?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic